Saturday 13 June 2015

Jurassic World spoiler review

now let's have a closer look at what I liked and didn't like about Jurassic World.

lets go straight in with the didn't like. The romance with Howard and Pratt and the 2 kids' family issues. both of these elements just felt invasive on the film's plot, particularly the family issues, which, like I said in my first review, makes 1 scene in particular really awkward, its a scene with the 2 kids on a monorail. there is a scene where Chris Pratt is pined down by a very ugly pterosaur, and Bryce Dallas Howard shoots it off of him, seeming as an awkward thank you, Pratt kisses Howard. these 2 scenes just feel out of place in the film, and highlight the irrelevance of their respective subplots, I understand if the film makers decided that they needed to add story to the characters, but it was clumsy, in my opinion. another stupid subplot is D'onofrio's, something I didn't mention in my first review is near the end of he film, he tries to steal the indo rex DNA, thinking he can breed a super dino army. the theory everyone hoped wasn't true from the trailers was the crew using the raptors to fight the indo rex, it was real, and it was D'onofrio's idea, early on in the film when Pratt is 'training' the raptors is when D'onofrio spouts expositional dialogue about his project to make dino soldiers. honestly, when he died, I was glad, I don't like dumb movie characters, and he was dumb, when Wu gets involved in his plan, the subplot just stops, Wu gets on  a helicopter, D'on dies, and that's that whole dino army subplot gone, it would have been better if it was never there to begin with.

there are 2 other park employee's you see, the chick, and the dino nerd; the nerd is not funny, in that not funny nerd kind of way, and, Joss, the chick is by far the more sexist representation of women, if you must call something sexist, and I know you must. she just had to tell the dino nerd that she had a boyfriend, why the fuck is that remotely relevant, it' not. also, more on the feels, after the not remotely surprising twist that indo rex is part raptor, and she is able to turn the raptors on Pratt and the Ingen mercs, Pratt confronts one of the raptors, and the 2 have a brief moment before a merc blows her up with a rocket, like I said in my last review, the Pratt raptor relationship was buyable enough, but that was just stupid. something else about the raptors, in the final battle with the indo rex, the raptors decide to side with Pratt, why? indo has more in common with them than they have with him, and she was able to command them earlier, so why are they now with Pratt again.

I feel that I've said a lot of things I don't like, so lets change the mood. in the film, the 2 kids, and later Howard and Pratt, find the ruins of the old park, as in the original Jurassic park from the first film. not going to lie, it was really cool to see that place again, with the jeeps and the night vision goggles. in my first review I said the indo had 'abilities', it has active camouflage, it's able to hide it's thermal signature, this is explained by Dr Wu, and it's not only kind of believable, but somewhat awesome. though they're not really explored that much, both are used to show the indo's smarts, when she distracts the crew by scratching up one of the paddock walls and hides her heat signature, tricking them into thinking she escaped, then attacking them while they're in the paddock. indo never eats her kills either, making her just that little bit scarier, just killing for the sake of killing. she claws out her tracking implant and sets a trap with it, and of course turns the raptors.

lets get to business, the final battle with indo is awesome. with our heroes surrounded by raptors and the indo rex. Pratt sets the raptors on indo. while Howard does something awesome beyond the meaning of the word awesome, goes to old girl's paddock, and lets her out, using a flare to lure her just like Grant did in the first film, right over to the indo, and the 2 start fighting. watching indo and the T rex fight was, for me, by far he best part of the film. as they grab each other and throw each   other into buildings like its Godzilla or something, the fight is dumb, but it is so fucking awesome to watch, an it's such a improvement from Jurassic Park 3's piss take of a fight between the spinoaurus and the T rex. the fight ends with the mosasaur jumping out of the lake and grabbing the indo, dragging her to her doom. that is, for my viewing party, where the fight got truly stupid, I would say the film's big baddie needed to die dramatically, but having her neck snapped by old girl and old girl pronouncing her victory with a mighty roar would still have been awesome to see. We got that at the end, as she stands tall on the helipad overlooking her kingdom, covered in injuries from  the fight, and ends the film with that classic roar. I understand that the final fight was really stupid, but I didn't care in my ecstatic episode and I don't care now, I will see this film again with my friends, and I will wait for that fight, because it is what makes the film great. it's  why when you leave the cinema you leave smiling, even though the film was far from perfect. enjoy the film chumps, because I did, and I hope this more in depth review has explained why.

No comments:

Post a Comment