Monday 15 June 2015

E3 is upon us

doom, holy shit, doom.
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
I think that sums up my thoughts on the Doom demo.
I was excited when Wolfenstein the new order was announced, but with Doom, it's just more, Wolfe may have invented the FPS genre, but Doom took it higher, Doom was a revolution. It's been annoying to have nothing about Doom 4 until E3 last year, because in my hyperactive youth I loved all 3 Doom games and was itching to slay more Demons. I've now seen both builds of Doom 4; the one we're getting, simply titled Doom, and the one that was scrapped in 2011. The 11 build didn't look awful, but it was very heavily militarised, like what the devs sad abut it when it was scrapped, and didn't have a 'soul' as the devs put it, I wonder if that's a pun. But now we have a gameplay demo of the new and improved Doom, complete with chainsaw action, double barrel action and people getting bitch slapped with their own severed arms action, that sounds like Doom to me.

Something I noticed immediately in the demo was the look; it's Doom, no denying it's style, just look at that helmet, it's so beautiful. But this is modern Doom, with sexy textures, sexy lighting, and rather than simply collapsing onto the ground or putrefying, bodies explode in red mist and chunks of flesh. Something I was surprised by was how much like Doom 3 it looked, given how far from Doom 3's atmosphere it's shooting, everything is dark and dirty, with lots of dim, glowing lights and tight, indoor arenas. Even the guns have a very Doom 3 look to them,  particularly the plasma rifle and machine gun. That's where the similarities end, now demons attack you by the dozen, and it doesn't look like ammo conservation is an issue anymore, given how willy nilly the gameplay demo was with ammo; Doom 3 was a  horror game, this isn't, this is a straight up action rampage. The game also looks a bit techy, with interactive elements including doors, which open with the classic Doom door sound effect, security panels you need to hack (by borrowing a dead guy's hand) and a weird drone that appears to let you see the past. Gameplay wise it looks like a standard shooter, minus iron sights and sprinting, which are both absent in is demo. The player also has a health bar, very old school. The game instead includes the ability to double jump and perform gruesome executions on weakened enemies. Thing is it looks like they can they can do the same to you, with the demo ending with a Revenant ripping off the player's arms and beating him to death with them. it all looks so very family friendly. speaking of kid friendly, the noise the live audience made when he picked up the chainsaw, it was almost orgasmic, and understandable, it wouldn't' be Doom without the chainsaw.

I'm pumped to get my hands on this game, it looks just the Doom I want, dark, gritty, but with lots of gore and violence, and guns, and guns, and guns, and more guns. it's surprising to me that we're getting a game like this from Bethesda and not from Devolver Digital, but I suppose we have Shadow warrior 2, I think I'm going to like E3 this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment