Tuesday 23 June 2015

Batman Arkham Knight first impressions

minor spoilers for Arkham knight ahead. First off, this game has a really grim opening. First you burn the Joker, seriously, you have control of the burners and you have to burn him. Then the game goes into what was shown off at E3 last week, a first person sequence where you play as a GCPD cop going on a shooting spree after being exposed to Scarecrow's fear gas. In his very creepy monotone voice, Scarecrow gives his warning to Gotham. Enter the Batman, who answers the bat signal.

My first impressions are very good, I'm a bit rusty at the Arkham combat system, but it didn't take long to get back on that horse, and the combat is just as awesome s in he last 3 Arkham games, though Batman's punches do have a stupid long range sometimes, when he flies across the level to an enemy down the street. Something I'm taking a bit longer to adjust back to is the grappling, though I've played about 45 minutes of the game, I'm sure I've got it. The elephant in the room is the batmobile/battank. in pursuit mode the batmobile is extremely cool, racing through the streets of gotham is awesome, though he batmobile is a bit over destructive if you ask me, I always thought batman never kills, yet the batmobile can plough through just about anything, blowing up cars and crumbling walls. But in tank mode, yes it's fun to drive a tank, when is it not, but why does batman have a tank, why does someone who doesn't kill as a principle have a cannon and machine gun on his pursuit car? In tank mod you do battle with unmanned drones, I feel that that's very nicely convenient for batman's no kill rule, it's all just very out of character.

The battank aside, it's good to be bat. The combat is still fun, the batmobile is awesome to drive, and the story has me interested, I liked the story in the first 3 games, and this one has me interested, Gotham is a war zone now, super villains and petty thugs alike are running riot, and I still want to see the Arkham Knight himself, I've managed to steer clear of spoilers, and I know nothing about him, so lets see how this new villain sizes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment