Saturday 31 October 2015

Spectre movie review

Here's what you need to know; Bond is now on a personal mission, one he was sent on by M's dying wish. But he may not be able to face this latest foe, one that can hide everywhere, but that you can never hide from, one that lurks in the darkness of Bond's past and present, it's name is Spectre.

The pre title sequence of this latest 007 adventure is really awesome, taking place at a day of the dead festival in Mexico, and it's great to look at, in fact, it's either all one shot or just edited to look like one shot, but the first shot of the film is incredible, and it lasts for several minutes, what follows as you might expect is some destruction and action. And just like Skyfall with the train, this film's intro has an awesome and pretty nuts fight inside a helicopter. What follows is the typical Bond song and visually stimulating title sequence, and while I liked them, I personally thought that the one in Skyfall was far better, I prefer the song and the visuals are cooler. Bond is just as badass in Spectre as he's always been, he's also still as womanizing as ever, but there's more to him than that in this film, and I'll get to it later. Q, M and Eve all return from Skyfall, and they're all still cool, Q is still funny and smart and has all the funky spy gadgets, plus it's Ben Wishaw, the guy was Paddington bear, how can you not like the guy. While I miss the sexual tension with Bond and Eve, Eve is still a pretty cool character also. M meanwhile, I liked him back when he was Mallory, and I still like him as M, they pull a similar story with him to the one in Skyfall, him and Bond on opposing sides at first, but they join the same team towards the end. This film also has a host of new characters, starting with C, who is Moriarty from Sherlock, while I loved him as Moriarty, I think that it's a bit obvious what side he's on from the minute you see him, but he does have some cool scenes near the end. Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy is also here, and from what I remember he only says one word in the entire film, to be fair it's pretty funny, and he has a really awesome fight with Bond on a train, another train, damn. Now for Swann, who I find very interesting, because she's not just a typical Bond girl, there is a genuine relationship that grows between them as the film goes on, plus, it does help that she is pretty sexy, to say the least. Their relationship also brings something new and interesting out of Bond, admittedly I haven't seen many Bond films, but I haven't seen Bond get an actual love interest in the way he has in this film, and I really liked that element, it was cool. And then there's the villain, who I thought was really cool, I liked his big evil plan and I also liked the history he had with Bond, a history that I won't spoil. I love all of the characters here, and just like Skyfall, the banter between them is great, it's funny, it's well written, and it's great. When the plot finally starts to move I really liked Spectre's big plan to rule the world, it's one I've seen before, but if it's done well I don't care, and it was done well.

This film, like Skyfall, has some awesome action scenes, including one in a crater, one in the mountains, the already mentioned scene with the helicopter, and they're are really fun to watch, there isn't a single one I didn't like, even if the pretty uneventful car chase was a bit of a drag really. What I found a bit funny was the amount of gadgets in Spectre, some of it was a bit sci fi, but don't worry, no space lasers, which is good. Like I said though the car chase was a bit dull, I think back to the MI5 car chase, which was completely awesome from beginning to end, this one just wasn't. Which isn't to say this film doesn't have some intense moments, because it absolutely does, there is one particular part that is just vile, you'll know it when you see it, it is nasty. Then there's a sequence in London near the end that was absolutely great. But all the action scenes have that same great tension to them. Now for some globe trotting, to, as ever, some scenic and stunning places, like the stunning snowy mountains of Austria, to vast expanses of desert, to the streets of Rome, and yes, they all look great. I feel like it's time to talk about some negative, so now let's go. First off, for the first half maybe the film is very hard to follow, example, early on in this film Bond attends a funeral in Rome, and I have no clue who's funeral it was, I just don't know. A lot of names get thrown around and I don't remember any of them. To that extent I'd say the first half of the film is the weakest part, because like I say, it's hard to follow, that criticism stops applying in the second half, which is completely awesome. Also, there's a bit of a hole in the film, I won't say who but a character in the film is caught in a really, really big explosion, yet he somehow survives when he clearly shouldn't have. Like I say though, the film really picks up in the second half, and becomes more like what I wanted from Spectre.

Spectre is a really good film, for the second half. Throughout the film it has the same great characters and dialogue I loved in Skyfall, as well as a cool villain and an interesting love interest character for Bond. It's a shame then that I was so lost for it's first half. It does however has great action and great tension, oh yeah. Spectre is still a good film though, and I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment