Friday 23 October 2015

Doctor Who series 9 The Girl Who Died review

Spoilers ahead for Doctor Who.
Here's what you need to know; the Doctor and Clara end up being captured by Vikings and taken to their village, but things take an unexpected turn when a formidable foe shows up. Now the Doctor, Clara, and their new friend Ashildr must prepare a town of Vikings for a battle like no other.
This review is pretty late, but here's the truth, instead of this, me and my family watched Jurassic World, and I didn't watch it, but now I have, so let's go.

After Before the Flood, I wanted an episode of Doctor Who that was actually good, and as it turns out, I got what I wanted with this episode, so we'll actually start with what I didn't like, I thought the Mire were pretty dumb, their armour looked cool, in that big clumsy walking tank kind of way, but I thought they were a bit stupid when Odin showed up and drank a bottle of testosterone and preached of the joy of war, it was a cartoon, Gears of War isn't that manly for god's sake, and when the helmet comes off and you see their faces, yep, dumb. But to be honest there isn't really anything in this episode I didn't like. The elephant in the room is of course Arya Stark from Game of Thrones, who at first I thought was just here because she's in Game of Thrones and Game of Thrones is huge, but no, Maisie Williams' character actually becomes a pretty interesting Character, though at the same time I'm a little apprehensive, I hope that she becomes an important character, though I think she'll be less important than I'd guess from the Doctor's premonition. I was having fun with the story of the Vikings vs the Mire, even if I thought the Mire were cartoons, and I really like the black mail the Doctor pulls on them, even with how indicative of the world we live in I think it is, what with phones and social media and what not. But, and here's where the real spoilers begin, I started loving this episode when Ashildr dies, I didn't expect her to die, and I love the scene when the Doctor is mourning her death. And then the Doctor remembers why he chose the Capaldi face, and I really liked the reason, and how that reason drives him to ultimately potentially cause a lot of damage, seriously, someone who's body is infused with alien technology, someone who loses the ability to die, that's kind of a big deal, like absolutely world changing, and in this episode he seems particularly paranoid about changing history too much, so I'm interested to see where this goes, and I'm praying that it won't be a huge let down like Under the Lake and Before the Flood. But all in all I really like this episode, I thought it had a fun story and interesting characters, I really liked the Doctor's later scenes in this episode, and I want to see what happens next with this story. This episode is definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment