Wednesday 7 October 2015

The Strain season 2 The Born review

Spoilers ahead for The Strain.
Here's what you need to know; Fet and Dutch's relationship hits a roadblock. Meanwhile Fet and Abraham investigate one of Palmer's abandoned factories and make a grim discovery. And the mysterious new player shows his face at last.

This episode had me interested in the first few seconds, with the 'Born' as he's apparently called in Rome, fighting in the coliseum, it's really interesting to see this world in more depth, because really the show doesn't do that much, and when it does, I am engaged. What I'm really not engaged with is the drama with Fet, Dutch and her lesbian lover, I know this show is supposed to be a drama, but the drama is by far it's weakest element, and I just don't give a shit about Dutch being reunited with her girlfriend, or Fet getting all jealy over it, which is really odd since he's one of my favourite characters, sorry to drag this point out so much, but I really don't care. Speaking of not caring, Palmer and the French chick finally went and did it, and yes, in that sense, if anything it's creepy, not because of the age gap, but just because Palmer is creepy. On the character front Eph is back in New York, and he is far more interesting, there's a scene with him in a bar which has more development in it than the last few episodes combined, and half of it is him standing in front of a mirror, not sure if that's good for this episode, or bad for the last few. The Born finally throws down here, and it is awesome, he is awesome, when he tore the stinger out of a feeler's mouth was badass, then cut one in half and stood on it's intestines to stop it crawling away, he's just cool. And his confrontation with the Master is also cool, The Born's reasons for hunting the Master are alluded to, and I want to know more, they have a history that I think may just be badass. Finally, Fet has another one of his Fet moments, and moments like them are why he's one of my favourite characters, it's like he finds true happiness in blowing shit up, he's great.

This episode has high highs and low lows, but it's by far the best episode of The Strain for a few weeks now, I am completely uninterested in Dutch and her lovers, and Palmer's still a complete creep, but The Born who's name I'll try to remember next week was all badass, and it's good to see Eph be interesting again. And when he's not getting all jealous and needlessly confrontational, Fet is awesome, I'm finally interested in The Strain again, and I'd recommend this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment