Saturday 3 October 2015

Doctor Who series 9 Under The Lake review

Spoilers ahead for Doctor Who.
Here's what you need to know; the Doctor and Clara find themselves aboard a mining station on the bottom of a lake where strange things seem to be happening, when the night comes, it seems the dead come back to life, the Doctor becomes determined to uncover the source of these mysterious ghosts.

So let's start with what I liked, I liked the ghosts, I thought that they are cool, that said, if we're comparing them to monsters from series 8, they're not as cool or creative as some of them, like the mummy or those weird 2D aliens, and they aren't really explained here, it's a 2 parter, so maybe they'll explain next week what these ghosts are, but for now they're not really all that interesting to me. If I wanted interesting I'm more interested in the ship and those symbols and what is inside that coffin, and by extension, what the signal the ghosts are transmitting means. I want to know what is in that coffin, and why it's broadcasting. The underwater base setting sounds cool, but it isn't as cool as it sounds. A thought just came to me, I just watched the Martian before watching this episode, so the underwater base did kind of not have the same coolness, a more fair and relevant comparison would be the base from The Satin Pit, but even then this base isn't actually that cool looking, I think windows would have helped a lot. Now for the characters, who are a bit flat in my opinion, none of them stand out or are memorable, and there are a few things I don't get, like why can one of them only communicates with sign language, and why is that one guy all about the assets, to a cartoony degree, he was a cartoon, and he was a bit annoying.

Coming off last week and the week before, this episode just isn't as cool, it has some sort of interesting monsters, and there is a cliff hanger that makes me want to see what's next, but it didn't make me mad that I had to wait a week like the first episode did, and the characters and setting just aren't that interesting. This isn't a bad episode, but it's not on the same level as episode 1 and 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment