Wednesday 4 November 2015

Thunderbirds Day of Disaster review

Here's what you need to know; the crew of the Martian Space Probe chose a bad day to cross the Allington bridge after a violent storm damages the bridge, and the Probe and it's crew are sent tumbling into the river below. With only hours before the rocket explodes, International Rescue are the only ones who can save the day.

Something I really like in this episode is something that I've missed from Trapped in the Sky and Pit of Peril, the failed rescue attempt. In my opinion the failed rescue really adds to the tension when it comes to rescues, because the failure creates a possibility that IR might also fail, that possibility of failure is what made the Fireflash landing as intense and awesome as it was. This episode has one such attempt with floating cranes, not to mention the presence of a timer, in this case a literal timer before the rocket explodes, come together to make this seem like a rescue that could fail, and those ones are the best, that's why I liked Skyhook so much in the new series, it's why I love episodes like Trapped in the Sky. The timer is a big part of this, when it comes to tension, timers are really effective, and here it's effective. I also very much liked a scene on Tracy Island with the Tracy family, I thought it was funny, and I thought it was a good little bit of character, I liked it. What's more humorous than effective is Brains, while it's a neat idea of him wanting be a hero and help IR, it ultimately comes across as dumb when he's talking into his watch, which is something brought up an unnecessary amount of times, yes, talking into your watch makes you look mad, but we are burdened with knowledge, we know he's not mad, he's talking to the Thunderbirds, and for me, for whatever reason, that comes across as more frustrating than funny. I did however laugh at the scene with the psychiatrist, that was pretty funny. Finally, I really like this episode's rescue, and the ending of the situation with the rocket is really cool. All in all I had a lot of fun with this episode, it's got some sweet tension, and a great situation with a great rescue, though a sub plot with Brains does get on my nerves a tiny bit, I'd say it's still worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment