Wednesday 18 November 2015

The Strain season 2 Night Train review

Spoilers ahead for The Strain.
Here's what you need to know; the bidding war is on, the man with the deepest pocket wins, but Palmer has other plans, Eph and Nora attempt to leave the city to get Zach to safety, but Kelly is waiting, and Gus and Angel, now with their own army, do battle with the vampire menace.

Well, that got a bit out of control, didn't it. This episodes has a very creepy intro, with Eichhorst inspecting his 'sheep' processing facility, which I'm probably correct in assuming is a human processing facility, now that is one immensely unsettling idea, I suppose that's something that gets me, abattoirs are bad enough, but put humans on those hooks and I'm done. The bidding war was actually about what I expected, and I thought it was awesome, seeing Abraham, Eichhorst and Fet all in one room, yeah, it was a bit intense, and Fet's line about the rebar was cool, the bidding was less than I thought, but the price went up pretty fast, and at first it looked like Eichhorst had won, but then Palmer played his hand, I didn't expect that, though like I said, I knew he was planning something, just not something that was likely to get him killed, that said I was very much looking forward to his punishment, until the Master killed Coco. What the hell, I mean, sure, Palmer double crossed you, you need to teach him a lesson, but damn, why Coco, and to be honest, since her and Palmer started banging I've actually started to warm to Palmer, something tells me in season 3 he's going to be a bit broken, since he cut out her heart and will presumably put it in a jar or something. Speaking of broken people, my lord, Eph is going to be completely gone in season 3, like full on Rick Grimes rip a guy's throat out with his teeth mad, but there is a plus side to this, Zach's probably going to die, little shit, Jesus Christ, it's his fault Nora's dead now, she had Kelly, Kelly was going to die, and then Zach had to be in denial just one last time and get a character I like killed because fuck it, why not. I hope he dies, really, I do, fuck him, I hope his undying denial get's him on one of those hooks or on the end of Kelly's stinger, I've hated TV characters in my time, I've watched Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, both of those shows had characters I hated who got characters I Liked killed, add Zach from The Strain to that list. Back to Eph though, yep, he's going to be a very different character in season 3, and that actually makes me pretty excited, I want to see what he does next. And this episode had some vampire killing, in fact a decent amount, and Fet, that delivery truck is not a delivery truck anymore, it's a tank, and I found it amusing when Fet opened the little hatch on the side and started firing at the vampires, it's a shame they blew the thing up really. I do have one issue with this episode however, Feraldo, in the last episode she was a murder suspect, so where is she now, where does her story go from here, it's a pretty important story to just skip over in the season finale.

All in all I really enjoyed this episode, it did miss a story that really needed some coverage, but it had pretty much everything else I wanted, some cool vampire killing, the auction was really cool, and I loved watching everyone get in each other's faces. People died who I didn't expect would die, but really this show needed people to die, and with Nora's death, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Eph will change in season 3. At least Abraham finally got that damn book, and no one had to die on his end, so I guess that's a victory. As a conclusion to season 2 I did enjoy it, and overall I enjoyed season 2 on the whole, I liked the first few episodes, but it did derail for a few episodes before getting back on track for the last couple of episodes, and, reflecting my BK, NY review, I did enjoy season 2 of The Strain, and I would still recommend it, worth watching for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I can not believe that I have found person who did not hate Coco! God, so many people hate these two, and gloat about the season finale. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks differently. Thank you! and the master acted stupidly. Palmer never will forgive him the murder of his beloved woman. he could take coco captive threatening to torture her if Palmer would not obey him. and it would have made more sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead though it's likely Palmer's loyalty to the Master is even more unstable now, maybe enough that his lust for eternal life will be outweighed by his hatred for Coco's death, I doubt it will happen, but it's just an idea, and it will be interesting to see where all the characters are in season 3, particularly Eph and Palmer, they both had a pretty bad day. thanks for commenting on my review, much appreciated.

      Delete