Wednesday 4 November 2015

The Strain season 2 Dead End review

Spoilers for The Strain ahead.
Here's what you need to know; Eichhorst and Dutch spend some quality time together while Fet, Eph and Nora are on the hunt, determined to save Dutch. Abraham can only watch as the Lumen slips from his grasp yet again, and Gus if forced to leave his love behind in the war with the Master.

I will just get it out of the way now, I love this episode, this episode was brilliant. I'll cut to the chase, the scenes with Dutch and Eichhorst were great, they were just so nail biting, and they kind of made me feel ill for liking Eichhorst so much. The less fucked up scenes include Eichhorst forcing her to eat pineapple, which, like all of them, is a very intense scene. But then there's, I don't even know what say, I don't know what Eichhorst was going to do, but I don't want to know, and I can imagine it was very, very, very fucked up, that scene was hard to watch, I'm not kidding, I'll admit that scene really got under my skin. And it takes this show in a direction I didn't want it to take, not because it's a bad direction, but because it's creepy and perverted as shit, and that's actually a good thing, because this show surprised me. This episode is a great character episode for Eichhorst, not just because of him torturing Dutch, but this episode has a few flashbacks to before the war, both when he was just a radio salesman and when he was a Obersturmfuhrer, which was a nightmare to type. He had a relationship with a co-worker, one that ends really badly, and I love the scene when he finds her body hanging from the gallows, because you can tell that it really messed with him. And scenes like that make Eichhorst a fascinating character, he's evil, he's perverted, he's a Nazi, but scenes like those throw in some complicating humanity, and it's awesome. Another scene I loved was when he was dragging Dutch up the stairs by her leg, those last few moments in the hotel were tense as shit, even if I knew she'd hit a dead end, oh, I see what you did there. Really I'm kind of disappointed that neither of them died, since I was almost certain either Dutch or Eichhorst would have died in this episode, still, I really loved their 'interaction,' but I think it would have been far, far more heavy hitting if one of them died. It's a shame that the Eichhorst stuff just kind of drowns out all the other stuff. Abraham, whatever, he's never going to get that damn book. But Gus and Angel, now things are really moving, I recall saying something about Angel hopefully becoming a vampire killing badass at some point, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like he is going to become a badass after all. Gus and Angel stayed in the city after Gus' girlfriend and her family left, and that was a great scene, in fact a scene that makes me really like Gus and his story, and I'm excited to see where it goes next, which is odd given how stagnant his story got after Vaun died. All in all I thought this was a great episode, The Strain at it's finest, it was a great character episode for Eichhorst, the scenes with him and Dutch were awesome, and tense, and fucked up, and I'm excited to see what Gus and Angel do next, this episode is definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment