Saturday 18 July 2015

Thunderbirds Are Go Fireflash review

Here's what you need to know; Fireflash, a brand new hypersonic aircraft has vanished off the radar, and all contact is lost with the crew and Kayo, International Rescue steps in to find and rescue the stricken plane, only to find a sinister plan involving the Hood.

This episode is a revision of an episode from the old series; Trapped in the Sky. For obvious reasons, this episode was a risk. I'll start with the good. I like the Hood story in this episode, with his plan to steal the plane to get it's new hypersonic engines. and there is a cool scene in the Fireflash cargo hold with Kayo and the Hood. Where this plan goes wrong though is where the episode takes a dumb blow, as he makes his 'daring' getaway that is just so sodding goofy. It being a revision of Trapped in the Sky, it has to have the iconic crashing landing scene, which is in my opinion the best part of this episode. Though the landing goes in a direction I didn't expect, and a direction I didn't like as much, I felt the attempt with the elevator cars was really well done, especially bearing the music in mind, which is a great revision of the classic music. I do think however that, like Crosscut, this episode lacks the interest or intensity of Space Race or Ring of Fire, and with it being a remake of a classic episode, it suffers from my attachment to that episode, which is precisely why I felt this episode was so risky, and I have to say, both from a critical and nostalgic point of view, this episode fails to live up to the original. Where Trapped in the Sky ramped up the tension as Fireflash came in for it's final approach, this episode lacks that tension, something I knew it would do. A little detail I thought wasn't an improvement was the design of the Fireflash, which really wasn't as cool or as pretty as the one from the 60's. While this episode has a few good moments, they don't relieve it of it's failing of simply being inferior to Trapped in the Sky, and while normally I can keep nostalgia out of the way, I just can't here. This is a step down from what this series started as, and I hope it gets back on track next week.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try that again...

    How Daring!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb1dJ_D4Iww&t=10m16s

    ReplyDelete