Friday 17 July 2015

Rocket League first impressions

So today a friend introduced me to a little game called Rocket League, and I didn't really know what to think. On one hand, I've never liked football, but on the other hand, I thought it looked fun. So we went on the PlayStation store and grabbed it. And after initially being disappointed by the lack of offline multiplayer, we dove into the online multiplayer, and spent easily the next hour playing it.

Rocket League is a physics-based vehicular football game; where 2 teams of players try to score goals using tiny rocket powered racers. I hope that sounds like fun, because it's actually a lot of fun.  The brunt of the fun is the racer itself, which is A adorable, B customisable with unlockable bodies, afterburner colours, and hats, yes, hats, mine also has a Union Jack flag on the back. On the pitch gameplay consists of trying to ram the ball into the enemy goal, where it gets nuts is with rocket burners for extra speed, jumping and double jumping, driving on walls and even ceilings (though not for long), all at your disposal to get the upper hand on the enemy. Performing moves nets you points, which stack up to unlock various customisation items as you level up your racer, though I don't yet know how much there is in the way of unlocks, so we'll see how good that is. Players are split into blue and orange teams, and from there is a go ahead for insane stunts and crazy scores, with tiny racers shooting around everywhere, leaving trails of smoke, bubbles and even rainbows in their wake, it's chaos, beautiful chaos. I haven't tried any mode other  than the normal team football, that is assuming there are more modes, I really think I need to play this game more, not just to see if there is more than what I've seen, but because it's fun. more fun than The Order 1886, which I will review, when I buck up and play it again, that gam is a fucking grind.

I haven't played much of this game, but I've really liked what I've played, I might do a full review of this game, because I really am surprised by how much I like it, and for some reason this game reminds me of Monday Night Combat, don't know why, probably the colours.

1 comment:

  1. I take it this is your replacement for... wasn't it FIFA 14?

    ReplyDelete