Monday 13 July 2015

Suicide Squad Comic con trailer thoughts

Well, first we got a new Batman V Superman trailer, and now we get a first look at Suicide Squad, and here are my thoughts. First off, I love Batman, but I am not that much into comic books, which I suppose is a good thing here, because it means when I see these DC comics films I can see them without the prior knowledge of a DC comics fan, and thus see them as movies, and Suicide Squad looks like a cool movie.

The trailer opens with someone who, after a bit of research, I learned is Amanda Waller, at a dinner talking about the Suicide Squad,it cuts to and from more of this dinner and the Suicide Squad members in their cells. Similar to the Dawn of Justice trailer this trailer is very secretive with the plot, which is always good. The Suicide Squad themselves look really cool, especially Deadshot, Harley and Killer Croc, and this trailer makes me really excited to see what kind of mission they're sent on and the relationship between them. just like the Batman V superman trailer, this trailer makes me think the film will focus heavily on the characters' pasts, I get this from a shot of Deadshot hugging a little kid, probably someone who he is very close to. And the trailer also heavily features Harley Quinn, no surprise there, so it looks like Deadshot and Harley Quinn will be the most relevant people, which I don't mind. finally, at the end of trailer Joker is talking to someone an operating table about how he isn't going to kill them but he is going to hurt them; I know some people who will theorise that the person on the table is Jason Todd, tying into the Batman V Superman trailer with the graffiti covered Robin suit, or just some poor bastard Joker's going to torture.

I think that the person on the table is Harley Quinn, because there's a shot in the trailer of a woman who looks a lot like Margot Robbie tied to a table, and Joker is standing over her, you can tell it's Joker from the so so controversial tattoos. This makes me think that relation between these 2 characters in this film will be more than a simple love story, and actually has a much, much darker origin with Joker torturing Harley. I also think this because she looks really mad in the trailer, licking and slamming her head into the prison bars, something must have really, really fucked her up in the head, and that something has to be the Joker.  On the subject of Joker, I think my comment in my Batman V Superman post about Joker has been disproven, this is a very different Joker to the Jokers I know; seeming much less funny and much more twisted, similar to Heath Ledger, only while Ledger had method to his madness and seemed to have a purpose; bringing anarchy and chaos to Gotham, Leto looks less purposeful in his madness. While I'm still unsure on things like the tattoos and the teeth, I do have hope that Leto can still be respectful to the character, while bringing something unique and new to him, something all great Jokers have done.

A little thing I picked up on was someone wearing a Batman mask, which makes me have a similar idea to the Batman V Superman trailer, that while Superman has inspired some kind of religious militia, Batman has inspired an army of copycat crime fighters, like in The Dark Knight, with the gun wielding copybats taking on Scarecrow. Another little thing is I think that least part of this film  will be set in Arkham Asylum, since an operating table is seen 3 times and Joker is present all 3 times, my understanding I that Harley was a doctor at Arkham Asylum before being committed as a patient, and she is also present in 2 of these instances with the table, assuming the blond tied to the table is her, I could be wrong there, but it's an idea I got from this trailer.

These 2 trailers have got me really excited for these films, and I think I will become a lot more of a Dc comics fan as a result of these films, hopefully DC has a marvellous future (pun intended) ahead of them with these shared universe films.

No comments:

Post a Comment