Thursday 9 July 2015

Doctor Who Character Group Plc. Dalek figure review

Lets look at something from my past, I was a huge fan of Doctor Who in my younger years, and like most things I loved as a child, every now and again I have relapses, I think I'm going into a Doctor Who relapse. Now, on to the review, lets look at a toy Dalek.
The Dalek you see in the photo is about 9 years old, and was part of the original line of toys from the Doctor Who revival in 2005, hence his colour and design, which I will talk about first. The revival Daleks were awesome on TV, and they're awesome as toys too, with a nice gold and brass colour throughout the body and silver detail on the rivets along the base and armour plating, as well as on the eye piece and arms. additional detail includes of course the bright blue eye, black on the eye piece, arm and in the vents. The only colour I'm not fond of is the colour of the base, which has almost a greenish tone to it, instead of the solid black seen in the show. Like I said earlier, this design has armour plating and rivets, Giving a very Armoured look Which I still love 10 years later, and this is a detail captured very nicely in the toy. The Dalek is riddled with detail in sculpting, for example on the dome, in the vents, in the armour, etc.

The toy is, as you would expect, somewhat limited in articulation; ball jointed arms, up down movement in the eye piece, and a swivel dome. The Dalek also has 2 fixed wheels and a 3rd wheel under the base to allow for movement. While that sounds very simple, and is very simple, you can't really do much with a Dalek in turns of articulation, and I really don't mind. However, in the show the Dalek can look down, and it's midsection can rotate, again, these are things I don't mind, but they are absent in the toy, if I must find a flaw. Something else to note; the limbs are all removable and compatible with the Genesis ark set; meaning that you can store this guy inside the ark if you're so inclined, a nice little bit of added playability there. Said removable limbs can also be interchanged, assuming you can get your hands on a claw arm or something.

Not just coming from nostalgia, this is genuinely a good toy; not only is it's design very cool, but it's articulation is decent enough, given that it's a Dalek. complete with all the playability of being compatible with the Genesis ark, and simply being a Dalek, this is a great toy for the kids, and been as how it's a Dalek, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment