Thursday 16 July 2015

McFarlane toys Halo 4 Didact figure review

HA HAHAHAHAHAHA I found him, I fucking found him. And now I own him and now I'm going to review this illusive fucker. Here we have the McFarlane toys Deluxe Halo 4 Didact figure.


This box includes 1 Didact, 1 helmeted Didact head, and 1 fancy DLC code for the Refractive skin for Spartan armour and the Suppressor weapon. The thing I'm gong to mention first is this guy's size, he's enormous, standing about 9 and a half inches tall, easily dwarfing the puny 5 inch master chief. and, with his size, McFarlane toys saw fit to cram every inch of his body with detail, both in sculpt and paint. This is particularly evident in the head and torso, with very nice greys and vibrant oranges and yellows on the armour, not just on the torso but throughout his body, all with a very cool rounded design. Similar to the Knight figure, he has separate floating pieces on his armour, which in toy form are attached to the figure with transparent plastic. This is an area where he improves on the Knight, while the Knight had ridged plastic that could easily be broke, Didact has softer, bendy plastic, which is less clear, but thankfully much harder to break, the floating armour itself is also softer plastic. The sculpt is phenomenal, again with the smooth, rounded armour, the muscly jumpsuit underneath, the little grooves and panels on both the armour and the jumpsuit, and of course the head, which aside from a surprisingly poor job painting his hair, looks incredible, and captures the Didact's likeness very well. His alternate helmeted head is also very game accurate and nicely painted and  sculpted, particularly around the eyes. more on that head later.

The figure is very articulated; double ball-jointed head, ball-jointed torso, hips and feet, ball-hinge shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees and ankles, all with ratchet joints, and finally individually articulated fingers. Yes, that maybe a lot of moving parts, a problem is that even with that long list of articulated parts, a few of them, mainly arms and legs, are limited by the sculpt. While this guy will never move anyway on my display shelf, it is a bummer that he has all that articulation and he can't really move much. A real bummer is in the head though. As I said, he has 2 heads, but I can't get the head off. It's held on with the ball-joint, but it's on there really tight, and I'm not the only person who's tried; my sister's boyfriend, who regularly goes to the gym, also couldn't get the head off. I find it funny that on the box it says ages 8+, yet there is no hope of an 8 year old getting the heads switched. McFarlane has done helmets in the past, or maybe a simpler way of getting the head off, but not simply having to yank it off the joint, not only is it tough as shit, but I fear that doing that could damage the figure very badly, and  I do not like the idea of that.

As a collector's piece this figure is amazing, it has an outstanding sculpt and paint job, and looks great on a shelf with other, smaller halo figures, or just on it's own. but with all it's moving parts, it's articulation is stiff and limited, and I'm worried that the head is going to be a real issue in the future thanks to its stubbornness. The issues I expected are worse than I thought, and as sexy as the figure looks, those issues do sadly detract from it's quality. I'd say get this if you want a Didact for your collection like I did, but if you're not fussed about the Didact, he's not exactly a must buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment