Wednesday 30 December 2015

Thunderbirds The Mighty Atom review

Here's what you need to know; after failing once before to obtain the secrets of the new Atomic power plants, the Hood, armed with the latest in espionage, goes for another attempt, forcing International Rescue to intervene, or risk losing an entire continent to a radioactive death cloud.

This episode has a pretty surprising and pretty dark opening, with the Hood's first attempt to get into one of these plants, and it resulting in an atomic explosion that I must say, looked really cool, with pyrotechnics and smoke I think they did an extremely good job of showing the atomic explosion. Something else I really liked was how creepy they made the death cloud, what with the slow panning camera and the music, if I saw that thing coming I would run. Something that I did however find very odd is the Mighty Atom, which has nothing to do with the atomic plants as one would think, but instead refers to a little toy mouse with a camera for an eye, which is also the Hood's latest in espionage. it reminds me of a story I heard once about the U.S using cats with microphone implants to spy on the Russians, it sounded ridiculous, and so does the toy mouse in this episode, though to be fair, the Americans probably tried this too, I just looked it up, Operation Acoustic Kitty, it was "declared to be a total loss." as amusing as the scenes with the mouse were, it just strikes me as completely bizarre, and it is distracting. The Thunderbirds don't really show up until a good way into the episode, and when they do, to be honest it feels pretty by the numbers, the tension isn't really as strong as it has been in past episodes, or as it should be given the situation. What's more amusing is the stuff on Tracy island, mainly one scene with Parker and Kyrano which is hilarious, and to be honest I wouldn't have minded more of that humorous stuff at all with those 2. There was also a not so funny scene that became very funny at the end, but it does contradict how we are meant to see Penelope, a tough, badass secret agent, who is scared of mice, makes sense, I remember that time Bond screamed at the sight of a spider too. All in all this episode had some funny scenes and some really cool uses of effects, but aside from that, it doesn't offer very much, but I still very much like elements of this episode, and it's still worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment