Wednesday 23 December 2015

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation movie review

Here's what you need to know; Clarke Griswold is planning to have a very special Christmas with his family, but as Griswold holidays tend to go, Christmas doesn't turn out the way he intended, and Clarke can do little to stop the total collapse of his precious holiday.

My Dad adores this film, there was once a time where I could not escape Mele Lakikimaka, seriously, escape was impossible, and it drove me insane. He'd be very surprised to learn that I really like this film myself. Let's start with the characters, Clarke is a very good character, yes, he's an idiot, but at the same time he's a very believable and relatable idiot, we've all had bad days, and Clarke in this film is having a very bad day, in that his deterioration in stability is very easy to get behind. you'd think then that the characters that ruin his Christmas are annoying and unlikable, but they're not, the only 3 characters in this film you don't like are characters you're not supposed to like, while everyone else does a very good job of being funny and messing up Clarke's Christmas while not being unlikable. but who really makes it is Eddie, who is one of the funniest characters in the film, like Clarke says, "his heart is bigger than his brain," and he cracks me up pretty much every time he's on screen, the scenes with him and Clarke are brilliant, not just in their humour, but in the heart, and that can be said for all the characters in this film, there is no one comic character, everyone has their funny moments as well as their serious moments. the comedy element of this film is however probably it's strongest asset, there were a few times in this film where I was laughing out loud, harder than I ever laughed at it before now I'm an adult, as well as the simpler, dumber jokes I laughed at as a kid, which are more often than not still funny in their absurdity, like when he gets trapped in the loft or when he finds a squirrel in the Christmas tree, or one that makes me still laugh my arse off, when the dog eats the bone under the table, got me as a kid and it gets me now still. really I don't have any major issues with this film, and I find it's characters to be likable, it's comedy to be at times hilarious, and for it to have a nice healthy dose of heart for the Christmas season ,this film is one I would definitely recommend, worth a watch for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment