Wednesday 30 September 2015

Thunderbirds 1965 The Abominable Snowman trailer thoughts

It should come as no surprise to anyone that I adore Thunderbirds, and unsurprisingly, I've been very interested in the kickstarter project Thunderbirds 1965, a project that takes original voice recordings from the original Thunderbirds and adapts them into episodes using puppets and pyrotechnics and all that good shit. The first of these new old episodes; The Abominable Snowman, now has a trailer, and here are my thoughts. First off it's a classic Thunderbirds intro, and it's awesome to see a classic intro again, given how the new series tried but just didn't do it the same, it's great to hear the music and see the original countdown. Also, the early few shots with Thunderbird 2 look stunning, it genuinely looks like the 1965 original Thunderbirds. From that point on things lose that genuine look, at least in my opinion, you'd think that's a bad thing, but it actually really isn't, because even though you can tell it's not the original Thunderbirds, it's just so impressive how much they managed to nail the look, it's so nearly there that it is truly admirable. Something that looks perfect beyond imagining is the props, mainly of course the Thunderbird craft and the puppets, they look absolutely incredible, and with this and the various little pieces of video from the episode's production, the puppeteering is top notch. If I must have a criticism it's really only that the pyrotechnics don't seem to have as much kick behind them as the original, I know it's really minor, it's like complaining about the Stormtrooper helmets in the Force Awakens, but it's just something I thought, Thunderbird 1's VTOL jet just looks less powerful. I highly doubt that when I see the finished product I'll be bothered by it, in fact guessing from this trailer I'll very much Like the finished product, either way, I'm more excited than ever to see some good old classic Thunderbirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment