Sunday 13 September 2015

Inside Out movie review

I would start with a here's what you need to know, as I always do, but for this movie I feel that I shouldn't, the film is better the less you know going in, but the general idea is something you're probably familiar with, personified emotions man the control room of a little girl's mind, and in typical Pixar fashion things happen and they go on a big adventure, I really don't want to go too much into this film's plot, which will probably make this a pretty short review. I'll get right down to it, this film was genius, it's so clever with it's story and how the mind works, the personified emotions; Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear and Disgust, all have great interactions with one another, and each one is a very clever representation of their respective emotion, example Joy is all smiles and sunshine, Sadness is all doom and gloom, and Anger's head erupts in flames when he's at the wheel. How the film explains how memories are created and kept and how good memories can become bad ones is genius, and how some memories shape us as people and make us who we are, I can't stress enough how surprised I was by how brilliant the concept of this film is and how beautifully it's executed, yes, I use the word Beautifully in describing this film. This film also has a lot of laughs, and something I noticed in the cinema was how well the film's humour resonates with different people, for example there's a joke at the end that made me laugh a lot, while other jokes made other people in the cinema laugh, which just shows how smart this film is, depending on your age and life experiences, you will get something different out of this film to someone in a different demographic, a lot of this film's humour reflects personal experience, and there are no dumb kid jokes in here, thank god. This is a film about emotions, so you'd expect emotion, but this film has some hard hitting moments, not shocking moments, but moments that are, we'll say, emotionally impacting, I must say it's nice to see a Pixar film that's all nice and friendly and warm, but has some really dark and mature moments that really pull at the heart strings, like the prologue to Finding Nemo or Up. And this is just a friendly warning, past a certain point this film gets really heavy, but that is not a negative, in fact I couldn't praise it enough. This is an animated film, and it's from Pixar, so it's fair to expect the very best technology, fortunately, this film looks incredible, there are times outside of  Riley's mind where it looks almost real, and I love the contrast between the grey, dull real world and the vibrant, colourful, warm and imaginative world inside Riley's mind, it genuinely is a joy to behold, the animation is lively and energetic, and the characters are perfectly designed to convey their respective emotions.

This review might seem a bit hollow, because it's a short one and it's all praise, but I'm not joking when I say I adore this film, it's been a long time since I've sat in a cinema and had a film really hit me where I live. This film is funny, it's clever, it's imaginative, and it's emotional, I know a few people that I know will cry if they watch this film. The only word I can really think of to describe this film is beautiful, and from me, that's saying something, I'd never call a film that if I didn't think it was a masterpiece, but Inside Out is a masterpiece, and an absolute must watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment