Wednesday 23 September 2015

The Strain season 2 Quick and Painless review

Spoilers for The Strain ahead.
Here's what you need to know; Abraham is on the hunt for the Occido Lumen, Fet and Dutch join forces with the police in the fight with the vampires, Eph heads for Washington with his vampire killing bio-weapon, and Feraldo's vampire killing campaign takes a blow.

This episode has a brilliant intro, with a squad of NYPD clearing a building of vampires, and getting attacked by the creepy little kid vampires which are now even fucking creepier if that's even possible, this is another really cool scene, especially when the kid vampires appear and start scuttling up walls and ceilings, my mum was in the room for this scene, I can tell that it really got under her skin, it was just cool. Eph leaves New York for Washington DC, I'm interested to see where this plot goes, though I still have a bad feeling about this bio-weapon. Eph spends most of this episode of a train, and there are some really cool scenes on the train, pretty much all of them have a noticeable sense of paranoia that makes them really intense, even when he's off the train there are a few intense scenes when he tries to get past security. I feel that I shouldn't need to say it at this point, but this week I accepted it, Zach isn't a character anymore, not for me, every scene he's in is just where's mom I miss mom blah blah blah, we get it, you miss your mum, now do something fucking useful. I'm glad when the scenes he's in end because he really annoys me, I mean when Gus can't kill his mum at least he understands that it isn't his mum anymore, Zach is just thick, get it in your head you dumb shit, she's a vampire. Back to the good, Dutch and Fet help the police clear the building, and it's cool to see the 2 vampire killing techniques; silver bombs and nail guns vs assault rifles and shotguns, I actually don't know which one I'd pick, both have their merits, and it's funny to see the police seeing silver as a weapon for the first time, and that scene with the vents, like something out of Eight Legged Freaks, I thought it was cool. Abraham was less interesting here than he has been in past episodes, but he has a really cool bit with his sword. Finally in good, Feraldo, a character who I hate, had a bit of a bad day in this episode, when she learns that her nephew is infected, I like that after her ruthless campaign she has been reminded that the vampires used to be people, and people cared about them in life. I also like seeing how cowardly she is, powering forward with this fuck the vampires cleansing, then preferring letting him turn to killing him there and then because it would be easier, I like it when characters I don't like have a bad day, what does that make me?

This is much better than last week, I feel like the story is actually moving again now Eph is in Washington, and it's got probably some of the coolest vampire killing in season 2 so far, mainly in it's awesome intro. Abraham doesn't do much in this episode, which is unfortunate, and Zach is still a dumb little shit, but the other character I hate has a bad time here, goodie goodie. this is a good episode, and it's worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment