Wednesday 20 January 2016

Thunderbirds The Man from MI5 review

Here's what you need to know; after some top secret papers are stolen and a man is murdered, International Rescue must play a game they never intended to play, as Penelope hunts down the killers in an effort to retrieve the papers, and gets herself in trouble.

Let's start with the obvious, this episode has some cool music, that and the suitably 60's espionage really make this episode feel like a Bond knock-off, and I do like that. I also like the story on offer here, again, with the cheesy espionage with stolen plans and villainous Europeans in submarines, my problem with it is how long it takes to get going. after a very fun intro with a murder, a theft and an explosion, things really slow down for quite a large portion of the episode, there's a few laughs in there with Parker, but for the most part it's pretty slow. What makes this episode fun again however is a really tense and awesome rescue, but then again I have an issue with that. first off, what I liked, this episode did tension very well in it's big finale as time was running out and the bomb was getting closer to exploding. I liked the scenes with Penelope as she tried to communicate with Jeff, and, while no fancy Thunderbird machines were really used here, the Thunderbirds stuff was cool too, with Thunderbird 1 trying to find the evil bad guy sub and Thunderbird 4 then going in to take them out. my issue comes because there's no explosion at the end, it sounds petty, but the finale isn't climactic, the great tension just fizzles away with no real payoff aside from good guys win and bad guys lose. yes this could still be fine, but for some reason I just don't like the way it was executed, I think it could have been done in a more satisfying way. All in all there are things in this episode that I really like, the music, the fun spy story and Parker, not to mention a very tense rescue, but that tension is all wasted in the end in an anticlimactic finale. I don't really know what to think about this episode since I have such mixed feelings on it, for the parts I enjoyed, I still think it's worth a watch, but it's not an episode I'd recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment