Saturday 23 January 2016

Thunderbirds Are Go Legacy review

Here's what you need to know; when a series of suspiciously timed disasters lure International Rescue away from Tracy island, Kayo realises that the island has been compromised. With the rest of the Thunderbirds in a vice, Kayo must handle the security breach alone, even if it means revealing her biggest secret.

part of me is really bothered by how much this episode makes me think of the 2004 movie, as just with that movie, the Hood takes over Tracy Island and the Thunderbirds are stranded and powerless, and something I did think of was how did the Hood find the island? if he knew where it was the whole time why not take the place over already, and if he didn't, how did he find it, this is, oddly enough, something the movie does better, where the Hood sticks a tracker on Thunderbird 1. Being honest though I did find a lot of enjoyment in this episode, even considering the similarity to that monstrosity of a movie. For starters I think the Hood being on Tracy Island was actually done in a pretty interesting way here, and with no Vanessa Hudgens and annoying side characters being chased through the jungle, which is very good. I like how the Hood is portrayed here, much more like what I wanted this Hood to be, a man with a plan, someone who's always 3 steps ahead of his opponents, and the interactions between him and Kayo are pretty cool, though I would like to have seen more of him interacting with the Tracy's. what I would also like to see more of, in all honesty, is violence, bear with me, yes, it's a kid's show, but why can't we see MAX kick those 2 thugs' teeth in with kitchen tools, or more importantly, an actual fight between Kayo and the Hood, would it be that bad, unarmed combat, I'd argue no, it almost seems that after Kayo implying the ineffectiveness of Pacifism through various past episodes, the series will still not show violence, it doesn't make sense. that said, watching Thunderbird 1 and 2 ripping the Hood's ship apart was pretty cool, I guess that's as close as we're going to get to seeing them actually straight up stopping the bad guys. Finally, I have mixed feelings on the reveal, yes, they finally find out that Kayo is the Hood's niece, I personally would think that's a great springboard for character drama if it's done right, and the reveal itself is done in a pretty cool way in this episode, but it really looks like they're just going to sweep this under the rug, and I don't think they should, particularly with Scott, this would leave the series on a bit of a cliff hanger for sure I think that would work.

All in all this episode has flaws, and it does have a tendency to bring back bad memories for me, personally. but with that in mind, the focus on characters is something that's cool and something that the show's finally been doing recently, I enjoyed the interactions with the Hood and Kayo and I liked the situation with the Thunderbirds, I just think a more ambiguous ending as to the Tracy's trusting Kayo would have been a good idea. It's still an episode I enjoyed, and it's still worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment