Thursday 7 January 2016

Thoughts on Godzilla Resurgence updates

I considered sharing my thoughts on the new Godzilla Resurgence trailer when it dropped back in December, but I didn't because I didn't really have any thoughts to share; all things considered it was a pretty naff trailer. All it was was just a lot of people running and screaming followed by the classic 1954 roar, we've seen people running and screaming a hundred times at this point, or at least about 30, and Godzilla probably won't sound like that in the film anyway, I wasn't a fan of the trailer if you couldn't tell. What I found far more interesting and greatly preferred, however, was the poster that Toho released at the same time as the trailer. As you see, it's very simple, a heavily silhouetted profile of the new G on a solid red background, I'll just say I love this poster, because from this I get a much better idea of what the film will be like. I'm guessing they're going for a much darker, more frightening vision of Godzilla, almost horror-esque, going on how A the G profile is very heavily silhouetted and B the profile itself looks fucking freaky, the teeth and eyes alone really get under my skin here, it looks stunning. Oddly what I first thought of when I saw the poster was FNAF 4, in the same way the monsters in that game are nightmare versions of the normal animatronics, this is like a nightmare version of Godzilla, not how he would look in real life, but how he would look in the mind of someone who survived a Godzilla attack, and I really like how I can even get such an idea from a poster as simple as this. This looks to be the kind of Godzilla movie that will be genuinely frightening, at least I think based on the poster. I think back to a scene in the original Godzilla when a mother is cradling her baby and saying they'll be with the father soon, it's a very subtle thing, but it had so much power, at least for me, it's something Godzilla hasn't really done since with the exception maybe of the 2014 Legendary film, but I like the idea of seeing that sort of thing again.


What motivated me to do this post was a few days ago a few pictures supposedly leaked showing the new G, I held back at first, not sure if they were real, but it's since come to light that they are indeed real, so now I can finally talk about them. what you see on your right is in fact what G will look like in the upcoming film, and as you'd expect, I have some thoughts that I'd like to share. first off, my FNAF 4 nightmare Godzilla theory seemed to be very much correct, this is quite different from any Godzilla I at least have seen before, Godzilla has always looked like many things, perhaps most notably a dinosaur, and, in the case of the 2014 film, a giant, scaly bear, but this thing looks straight up out of a nightmare, it makes the dead eyed GMK Godzilla look so tame. let's go into specifics, that mouth, does it not just produce ideas of tearing flesh, it does for me, and I love the texture on his head, it doesn't look like a natural... ok, re word, nothing about that hideous face looks natural, those teeth really do frighten me, those beady little eyes don't help, and the mouth, it doesn't look like a mouth, it looks like someone just took an axe to Godzilla's snout and called the resulting gash a mouth, but really who am I kidding, these are all compliments, this head looks stunning, just like on the poster. What made me stop marvelling and start thinking however was everything else from the stupidly long neck down, come on, that is a ridiculous neck, I know he's a reptile, but come on. immediately you will notice the colour, which in addition to the charcoal grey we love, has some red as well, my initial thoughts were something along the lines of necrosis, given the rawness of the red areas, but now I'm stuck between that and burns. But now I must ask, what could cause burns like that, unless he spent  the last 12 years hiding away inside a volcano, the only thing that can really cause burns like that is radiation, but where did that radiation come from? did it come from Operation Castle, or any other nuclear tests by the U.S, is it caused by radiation Godzilla emits himself, that would also explain the mutated state of his face and teeth, or are these scars from battles either with other monsters or the Japanese military, not sure that a  Maser cannon could cause such total tissue damage, but Maser cannons don't exist and as much as I like physics, I'm no scientist, so I don't know. I don't know what to make of the burns to be honest, so I'm holding my judgment until I see this thing in motion. On the topic of motion, I'm sure I've heard somewhere that this thing is about 20 feet tall and needs 3 operators to make it move, which is insane, and I do like that about it, it's going to the big. On the other hand, those arms look pathetic, I will say I don't like them, they look really small, and I'm not a fan, especially given how monstrous the rest of him looks, those little stubs look weak.

overall though I'm really excited to see this film, Suitmation is back and I fucking love it, the film looks like it's going down a much darker road in turns of mood, and monster, who has never looked so horrific, even with those questionable Necrosis/burns and the downright pathetic arms, I think I'll like this thing a lot more when I see it moving, but for now I do like where this is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment