Saturday 22 August 2015

Thunderbirds Are Go Tunnels in Time review

Here's what you need to know; while rescuing a group of trapped miners high in the mountains, International Rescue unwittingly unearth the entrance to an ancient tomb. Gordon, Penelope and Parker join the team set to explore the tomb, but things don't go according to plan.

I'll just get it out of the way, this episode isn't a high point of the series, in the same way that episodes like Unplugged and Fireflash aren't high points. While this episode certainly had the potential to be excellent, it doesn't fulfil that potential. Let's start with what I like, I like what they did with Parker in this episode, he is afraid of the tomb, to the point of incompetence, this does get a bit too silly from time to time, overall I think it works. And I like the pseudo villainy of professor Harold, something I didn't think I would like, as he obsesses over the buried treasure. As usual with these less action packed episodes however, this episode is lacking in action, something this new Thunderbirds series has come to rely on, while this is a good idea to build the characters, focusing episodes on this rather than on the rescue isn't a good idea, and the suggestion of Gordon and Penelope just comes across as completely forced. I do like the Thunderbirds action in this episode, even if it's 3 minutes at the beginning and 2 minutes at the end, I like seeing Thunderbird 2 in action, always have, and the snake cam they use in this episode is cool as hell, even if it doesn't seem to know where it's own tail is. Overall there are  things I like and things that I think work, but this episode is lacking, in the place of action is a focus on characters that is, as ever, clumsy and uninteresting, and in this case out of place and forced. This is one of those episodes that fails to reach the bar this series deserves to be held at.

No comments:

Post a Comment