Saturday 22 August 2015

Doctor Who series 1 Father's Day review

Here's what you need to know; the Doctor and Rose go to 1987, the year Rose's father was killed, and Rose saves his life, while at first it seems to be a miracle, the Doctor's fears are quickly confirmed when a terrible and opportunistic enemy descends and begins its hunt.

I like this episode, I really like this episode, were it not for Dalek this would be my favourite episode of series 1 so far. This is a smart episode, and while it's certainly a slower episode, this is all about the characters. For the majority of the episode the Doctor, Rose, and Pete are holed up I church while the  reapers tear the world part outside. In the church is couple of stories, The Doctor trying to save the world and Pete and Rose coming to terms with what must happen being the main two. The story with Rose and Pete is by far my favourite part of the episode, as Rose learns the truth about her dad, and Pete realises what  he and Rose must do to stop the reapers. This is a very dark episode in terms of tone, and that is something I really like. The story going on with Pete and young Jackie is a bit of a drag, but I understand why they did it, as Rose learns that her idealistic super dad isn't what her mum raised her to think. And the story of the Doctor trying to save the world doesn't really go anywhere or make any sense. But back to the good. The character of Pete is extremely good, both in his emotional interactions with Rose, and in his brave yet tragic final moments, his selflessness makes him a very admirable character. On the subject of cool, we have the Reapers, I kind of have mixed feelings on them. I say cool because the idea is both cool and creepy, but their appearance isn't on the same level as their chilling idea, at one point in development they apparently more closely resembled the Grim Reaper, and that is something I'd like to see, I just think they could have looked much scarier. Finally, while this is far from a criticism, the ending doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's minor and doesn't steal the spotlight from Rose and Pete. 

A few flat stories and  mildly confusing ending aside, this is a very enjoyable episode, spearheaded by Pete and Rose, and with added unease from the reapers, who while not so scary to look at, are a very cool and unnerving concept, I like this episode, not as much as Dalek, but still a lot, and it's easily my second favourite episode of series 1 so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment