Wednesday 5 August 2015

Halo Wars 2 trailer thoughts

And There I was saying I had nothing to put under the opinions tag, a new Halo game was just announced, fuck me. And it isn't some crappy little twin-stick either, it's an actual Halo game, even more fuck me.

The game in question is a game called Halo wars 2, the existence of which has been rumoured for some time now. I personally had my doubts, since the first Halo Wars was developed by Ensemble Studios, a company that is no more. But never mind that, Total War developer Creative Assembly is at the helm, and the game is coming out sometime next year for Xbox One.

Something that's obvious is this trailer is dark, and not just in the mature, dark sense, literally, it's hard to see what's going on, but I think I can see something that's going on, bear in mind I know nothing about this game that isn't in the trailer. This trailer has red team in it, so they're returning from Halo Wars, but in this trailer they are in a bad way, presumably getting their arses kicked by the big ugly Brute at the end of the trailer, who I assume to be the replacement for Ripa 'Moramee if not the game's main villain, who ever he is he appears to be fucking red team up, and given how they fucked up 'Moramee's elites in the first game, this brute must be serious business. From this trailer I can guess this game takes place after the first Halo Wars, I know that sounds obvious, but it's important, because that gives the game a 20 year window for happening. As for the dark element, I don't know anything about the game's plot, but it looks like it's going to be darker than the first, I mean, the first wasn't really dark, and no halo game has been very 'dark' aside from Halo 4, since 343 took over though, the entire franchise has taken a darker turn in terms of tone, and it looks like that's carrying over to Halo Wars 2. Also; this is a tiny thing I thought, but the Magnum seen in this trailer is very Halo 5y, so I think this game will tie into the halo universe more than the first one did, again, something that has been happening more since 343 took over, what with books and web series' and that TV series that may possibly just might be happening still. That said, it still has the look of an older model of pistol, like Forge's from Halo Wars, further making me think this game takes place in the 20 years between Halo Wars and Halo Reach. Or maybe I'm overthinking. Speaking of overthinking, what the brute says; "yes, run little demons" and "Hunt them down," this brute obviously has extreme contempt for humanity, but Demon has always been a label given to the Master Chief, so does it apply to all Spartans, and is little just a reference to their powerlessness against him or does Master Chief have some kind of relevance to the plot. It's probably the first one if it's either of those 2. It's one thing I thought when I first saw the brute, is it Tartarus? I know that's somewhat out there, but he's a huge Brute, with a mean looking grav hammer, and if this game is pre Halo Reach, that also makes it pre Halo 2, meaning Tartarus would still be alive. After 'Moramee's death, it would make sense that there would be a power vacuum in the Covenant, maybe this game will tell how Tartarus filled that vacuum. Or maybe I'm dead wrong and this is a new villain entirely, it's just a thought.

This is a 1 minute trailer that gives us next to no information at all, and like the other trailer breakdowns I've done, I like to pull things apart, I don't know what else to pull from this trailer. There's no gameplay, and with a new developer and for a different console, I don't know how it will play, really I can only pull story, and even then it's all speculation. This trailer has me interested for what they do with Halo Wars 2, and I think with this kind of tiny, secretive announcement trailer, that is what's important, and the game's release is over a year away, so I'm sure we'll learn plenty more before it launches. And in the end, I'm glad to see Halo dabbling in RTS again, since first time round it went well. Now we Wait.

6 comments:

  1. YAY YOU BACK.
    Can we talk about our Silent Hill pachinko machines & Time articles now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I've done some research, I now understand the Silent Hill thing, and we must now all understand that Silent Hill is dead, as for Time articles, I got nothing, go on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.pcgamer.com/time-magazine-vr-cover-is-the-greatest-threat-to-vr/

    What else... err...

    http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/06/dragon-quest-11-will-be-an-offline-game-for-home-console

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's dumb. of course it's a meme now.

    ReplyDelete