Tuesday 1 March 2016

Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon set

To continue as we are to go on, like that made any sense, here is a special something; my first Lego set, sure I had Lego growing up as most children did, but this is the first sizable Lego set I have bought myself as a collector's piece. this brute set me back £129.99, making it the most expensive set I've bought, and took 5 hours and 10 minutes to build, making it to date my longest build, maybe with the exception of the Mega Bloks Halo Phantom.

First up, I'll comment on how much fun I had building this set, it was a different feel of build to my usual Mega Bloks, what with the technic bricks I've never really used before, and I really like the design on this set, it had a really fun build, and like the Vulture, it has a very, very nice look to it. But unlike the Vulture, this nice look doesn't come at the expense of the structure, this is a beefy vehicle, with a very even distribution of weight, and it's far better to play with than the Vulture because of this. I generally have a dislike of stickers on construction sets, and this set does come with a sticker sheet, thankfully, I would say it still looks great without them thanks to the intricacy of the design, which is great, the cockpit does come painted. This set comes with a very lovely lump of playability under those elegantly angled top panels though, the interior comes completely decorated with plenty of room for the mini figures, including beds, seating, and the game board from the original Star Wars, among other junk littering the interior, the cockpit can also be opened to display mini figures. The most interesting piece though is a compartment in the centre for the gunners, with a top hatch that opens up and a removable platform with room for 2 mini figures, while you can't see figures when they're in there, it's a cool feature and good for figure storage. playability continues with the guns on the top and bottom, and spring fire missiles on the front that are very well hidden, which is neat. taking it back to the build time of 5 hours and 10 minutes, this is a big vehicle, coming it at 18 inches long and just over 12 inches wide, it's impressive how evenly balanced and sturdy the ship is at that monstrous size, and considering how well they replicated the round shape of the ship, plus I love the bigger sets, they have more presence on the shelf. Really then the ship itself, I don't really have a serious issue, it was a fun build, a long build, it has a very intricate design and looks awesome, and it's riddled with nifty features for some playability, I am, thankfully, very impressed with the main piece of the set.
Of course though with construction sets the mini figures are often just a big of a selling point as the set itself, and these are Lego figures, so like I stated before, I'm in pretty new territory, so what do I think. While these guys are obviously far simpler than the taller and more articulated Halo mini figures I'm used to, I really don't mind that, if anything I find these things kind of cute. I really like the prints on these guys too, Rey's outfit looks cool and so does Han Solo's jacket, but the best with print in my opinion is the drop dead adorable BB8 mini figure, which I absolutely adore, just look at the little fella, he looks amazing. what else I like about these guys is their weapons, or at least the ones the good guys are holding, Chewbacca's bow caster is really cool, with the ability to fire Lego studs. Less impressive in both departments however is the 2 figures on the far left, who I am very much indifferent to, same with their pirate guns, something about that actually kind of bugs me, why pirate guns? it is a very minor gripe about these guys, and I've since rectified it myself, Rey doesn't come with her staff, just something I thought was weird when I built this set, why no staff? all in all though, just like the Falcon, I have no real issues with these figures, aside from the absence of Rey's staff and my indifference to 2 of them, and since they're Lego figures, I really am liking these simpler, smaller figures.

All in all, while it may not be the ATAT I was looking for, different story of a different time, I really am happy with this set, I really like the Flacon, having no issues with the fun build, great design and look, size and sturdiness, and the high level of playability, and I adore the little Lego guys that come with it, I really am impressed with this set, and I'd absolutely call it a must buy if you're into Lego or Star Wars or construction sets in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment