Thursday 3 March 2016

Ghostbusters trailer thoughts

This is a film that has torn my innards up from the minute I heard of it's existence, I love the original Ghostbusters, and would be very excited to see another look at that world, but I have always had doubts that this film would be what it needs to be. Elephant in the room, the all female lead cast, I just have to ask why, why is it necessary, I'd argue that it isn't and making the lead cast all women for no other reason than 'reasons' is an arbitrary attempt to separate the film from the original and appeal to an audience I don't think would really give a shit about Ghostbusters, but that's because, like I've said in previous posts, I'm a retrograde dinosaur with really problematic views on such matters, and what with my inherent privilege as a male, my opinion automatically carries less weight, because equality, feminism rant over, for now. Another issue I feared I would have is the effects, undeniably the original Ghostbusters has very stylised effects, with the bright coloured, glowing and creatively designed ghosts, this is something I always feared would translate poorly into a film with modern computer effects. And finally, neither of those issues would really bring the film down for me if Harold Ramis was writing this film, but for obvious reasons, he's not, rest in peace you genius, my fear is that the film won't be funny. and luckily for me, it seems that all 3 of my biggest issues with this film are present in this trailer, talk about confirmation of prejudice.

I'll start with what I do like in this trailer, the story, at least from what I can gather from this trailer, sounds pretty cool, with an evil force causing increasing amounts of paranormal activity in New York, and the new Ecto-1 looks really cool, and I don't dislike the rendition of the classic Ghostbusters theme in this trailer, it's good. Now, on to what I am not a huge fan of; none of the characters look interesting, they just look like clones of the original cast mixed in with lazy stereotype comedy characters, McCarthy and Wiig look like our knock off Ray and Egon with their scienciness, Leslie Jones looks like our knock off Winston with the added comedy stereotype of big sassy black woman who I'll go out on a limb and say is probably a Christian too. Then there's Kate McKinnon's character, who in all honesty does look like the most interesting character in the film, based on that she's an engineer, but even still, she, like the other 3, just doesn't look all that interesting. Now for the equipment, I have mixed feelings on the more weaponised design of the Ghostbusters equipment, it makes sense, given how aggressive some of the ghosts can be in this world, but that lost me at the point McKinnon went Akimbo with the guns that at first glance kind of look like the MR6 from Black Ops 3, that was dumb. Now for my second gripe, the effects, again, the bright coloured, glowing ghosts of the 1984 film were great, and the effects used to achieve them was perfect, but I was scared and it seems am completely right in thinking that with modern CG effects, those same ghosts will look terrible. And they even did the courtesy of giving us a side by side and what the actual fuck did you do to Slimer, he looks like dumb, cartoony shit, it's laughable. More over the more weaponised equipment would also suggest this is a more action heavy film than the original, and it doesn't need to be, that fact that it seems to be going that way really bothers me, like the arbitrary casting it just seems pointless and stupid. But who knows, maybe this trailer will at least give me hope for the film's clever and funny script, how's about fuck no, this trailer made me chuckle once, when they introduce the Hearse and Leslie Jones says "It's a Cadillac." what the ever loving fuck did you do, seriously, this trailer made me chuckle, not laugh, chuckle, once,  fucking once?! This is by far the thing in this trailer that pisses me off the most, the film does not look funny, to the point that I think maybe I'm the problem and I'm not getting something, or maybe I'm right and this film does not look funny, fucking hell what have you done.

I wanted to give this film a chance, I really did, but this trailer has gone and scrubbed all that away, this trailer was crap, showcasing an attempt at respect for the original film that looks completely terrible with the new CG effects, characters that don't look interesting, and worst of all a script that doesn't look funny, this film may just prove me dead wrong and be good, but I highly doubt it, it looks shit, and I do not have my hopes up.

*Addendum
Haven't done one of these in a while, and these are being thrown in before I put up my thoughts because I'm annoyed and wish to be even more annoyed, so after writing the post above, I dug into some of the reactions to this trailer, and some of the controversy surrounding this movie, here are some favourites of mine scraped together from a quick google search.

Brianna Wu, Victim extraordinaire, unironically tweeting about sexist double standards regarding this film, well done.

Matt Patches pointing at the 'Misogynist Ghostbusters Fanatics' and saying they're all ugly slime balls, well done again, just keep white knighting and maybe someone will fuck you, also, ad hominems aren't arguments, I say ironically.

The clearly not ideologically entrenched director Paul Feig describing backlash against his arbitrary alterations as "Vile, Misogynistic shit", that's twice we've seen the M word so far.

Kadeen Griffiths of Bustle.com compiling a list of '12 sexist reactions' to Ghostbusters and including some 'thoughtful responses'
:Ain't a all female cast in Ghostbusters 3 a Lil sexist? The movies gonnae be a flop anyway so maybe it will teach Hollywood a lesson... tweeted @DonoftheDead80
Griffiths Mcsmugface responds with Answer: Was putting an all male cast in Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 more than a lil sexist? Survey says... yes.
to which I refute, who gave a shit in 1984, answer, no one, but then this movie and self righteous dimwits like yourself have to make it all about gender, so now people care, when they shouldn't, well done for first creating and then exacerbating an issue.

And finally, the juicy self righteousness of Allison Shoemaker's Consequence of Sound article Five Reasons the Ghostbusters Trailer Has Us Worried, in which she says:

 For those too horrified by the idea of a female-driven comedy franchise to use the analytical parts of their brains, this could be an enlightening exercise for you: Go ahead and type out some sexist nonsense if you feel the need. Get it out of your system; it’s good for the digestion. Then delete it, copy and paste one of these selections, and thank us later. Simply put, you might be afraid of no ghosts, but you sure as shit should be afraid of getting publicly shamed on Twitter.

Well fucking done you tool, congrats for completely missing the point of Ghostbusters, unironically saying people are not analytical, describing your article as 'an enlightening experience', I'll try to hold back the masturbation jokes Allison. Having previous said there are 'many' who dislike the trailer for 'valid reasons', she then keeps on wanking by dismissing criticism as 'Sexist nonsense', and then says people should be afraid of feminists publicly shaming them on Twitter, congrats for making your ideology sound bigoted and intolerant of different opinions, ironic isn't it, you brainwashed harpy.

And that's the Addendum taken care of, and my feminism rant completed at the end there, come on Anita, I'm getting hungry.

*Addendum 2
made post upload, updated March 3rd
Just Had to throw this condescending bint in here, and give her a polite message, fuck you.
Molly Fitzpatrick on Fusion.net, Sexist backlash to 'Ghostbusters' trailer is already here, Angry baby-men hate the new 'Ghostbusters' trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment