Tuesday 15 March 2016

Lego Star Wars Battle on Takodana set

This set was an impulse buy when I saw the mini figures, but regardless of reasoning, I now have this set, and it took me 87 minutes to put together, and it being the first structure set I've bought since my induction into the realm of Lego, it was an interesting build, so lets go.

First up, this is a set that recreates a location from the film, a location that, in the film, was a very nice place, a big palace on the shore of a lake surrounded by forest. Like all structure sets I own in the Mega Bloks line, this set doesn't quite capture the majesty of the location, which is admittedly a shame, that said, this set does do a decent job of recreating the front door of the palace, and it looks really cool, with the pillars and the nicely designed angled walls, and of course the stunning design of the door itself, it might not come across in the photo, and it is of course a small detail but I love that door, it uses textured bricks as well as the usual flat ones, and the doors can be opened from the back with a simple yet cool sliding mechanism. Speaking of playability, this set comes with a few specimens, first up, a slider under the door that can be filled with black studs, of which this set comes with plenty of spares, and flicked to launch said studs into the air, presumably representing an explosion, doesn't work as well in practice as it does in concept, but it's a neat idea nonetheless. The structure can be split in half, and the other half, while being visually less impressive, comes with more interesting features, like a collapsible wall on the top that can be felled with a wheel on the back, and the tree that can also fall over, a bit to easily with mine perhaps, but I put issues like that down to the individual product and not the design overall. it's a simple piece when it comes to it, and it is just a wall, with lots of moving parts, yes, but it's just a wall, no interior, but overall it's a cool wall, with a nice look to at least 1 half of it, and a surprisingly big number of things it can do.
But I'm not going to lie, I bought this set for the mini figures, and I'll be honest again, this is a great line up of figures. From left to right, we have 2 generic Stormtroopers, which you can never, ever have enough of, I really like their prints and those helmets are stunning, just look at them. both of them come with blasters, but one of them also comes with a riot stick from the film, which made for an awesome little fight in the film, and a sweet little toy weapon here. Finn is identical to the one that came with the Falcon, and now you can see the alternate face they both come with, this Finn however comes with a blue lightsaber, which is cool. Maz Kanata is a pretty cool little mini figure too, literally, she's tiny, with the shorter, none posable legs, and while I have no issue with the figure itself, the prints and head sculpt are both top notch, I do think her colours are a little light, compared to the film anyway, from what I can see the colours are correct, just a few tones lighter than in the film itself. fortunately there's only one shade of black, which means they can't get the colours wrong on the reason I bought this set. Kylo Ren it awesome, I adore this mini figure, his prints are simple but well done, his rags are well done with a cape piece, he comes with his hilted red lightsaber, which is a cool piece, and of course he comes with a helmet and a hair piece with an alternate face, which you see is very angry, he also has a more neutral face, and a really cool helmet. All in all these mini figures make the set, at least for me, I love the Stromtroopers, the Maz and Finn are cool, and I love the Kylo Ren figure. The structure itself is a nice display piece over all, and it comes with some playability that's worthy of credit, overall, I'm very happy with this set, and I'd highly recommend it, if for nothing else, the Kylo Ren makes it a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment