Friday 8 April 2016

Star Wars Rogue One trailer thoughts

So, Rogue One has a trailer, finally, and I, as you'd predict, was very excited to see not just what comes next in Star Wars, but to see what Gareth Edwards does next, him being the director behind the recent reboot of Godzilla, a film I love. This is an interesting Star Wars film for a few reasons though, in addition to the new vision from Edwards, it'll be interesting to see a new story in the Star Wars world, especially one with such significance to the original trilogy, but that to my knowledge has never really been explored. And now the first teaser trailer has arrived, a trailer that probably changed how my colleagues look at me when I sat in the canteen staring at my phone screen eager for the video to load like some ecstatic child on Christmas. So what do I think, in a nutshell, I think Rogue One looks awesome.

Let's just cut to the chase, it looks like Star Wars, not just in the very cool looking classic StormTroopers, but in the CG, which looks incredible, but the ships still look like the models of the original trilogy, it's nice that even when using CG, they went to that level of respect. And, something Gareth Edwards proved in Godzilla, is that he can portray size and scale very well in film, and he does it here. The Death Star, which you obviously see in this trailer, looks huge and menacing, and the final big sequence of the trailer, with everyone running on the beach and the ATAT's shooting at them, they look huge, and it looks like a war. There's another thing this film trailer does, this looks grittier than the original trilogy, or even The Force Awakens, while those were arguably more about the adventure, this film just looks like a straight up war film, me being a fan of war films, I don't mind that at all. I can't stress enough how much I love that shot of the ATAT's on the beach, they look huge, and it's threatening. Back to the grit though, yes, The Force Awakens had big explosions with flying debris and Stormtroopers, this film looks like it will be more vicious than The Force Awakens, with this trailer also showcasing hard hitting melee combat. It also looks like this film will show a more tyrannical and oppressive Empire than we saw in the first trilogy, which is, again, something I don't mind. The Characters look like they'll be interesting too, Jyn Erso, while looking less interesting than Rey, is probably still going to a character I'll be prioritising a Lego of, same with Forest Whitaker, and this is just a teaser, so the character's entire story and development won't be here, but I like it so far. And the music, I like the new bwowm sound, because it sounds very Star Wars, and it lends very heavily to the tone of this trailer, and I generally don't have a dislike for the soft piano versions of classic themes yet, though I know some people do.

Another short trailer thoughts post, not like I do them very often, but this is a trailer that gets me very excited to see the more gritty, violent, and political take on the original trilogy, which this film looks like, I like the classic look, the new characters, and I love the direction from Gareth Edwards, this film looks like this going to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment