Wednesday 10 February 2016

Thunderbirds Move and You're Dead review

Here's what you need to know; in a desperate bid to keep Alan awake, Jeff forces him to recall the series of events that led to his current predicament, trapped on an isolated bridge with a motion activated bomb at his feet, while Scott and Virgil race against time and sunstroke to save their brother.

I really like the way the story in this episode is structured, told pretty much entirely through flashbacks with brief sections in the present as Alan struggles to stay focused, it's a very interesting way of telling the story, and the breaks in the middle really help to build the tension as Alan becomes more and more delirious. the story being told in the flashbacks has its ups too, with a really cool, if perhaps unrealistically explosive racing sequence, that makes sense of the really weird sequence which is simply close ups of a painting with the sound of cars in the background. I would have actually liked to see more of the race itself, personally, since it was a really cool scene, and again, the transition from the bar to the race, while odd and weird at first, is actually perfect once it makes sense. before I get to what I really loved about this episode, just one thing that I also liked, the music, the guitar was a great choice given the circumstances. and now for what makes this episode in my opinion; tension, it should come as no surprise at this point that when it comes to Thunderbirds, for me, the best moments are the moments where you forget to breath because the tension is so great, and this episode has 2 such moments. the weaker of the 2 sees the baddies of the episode try to kill Alan in a car stacker, I won't go into details, but it was, shall we say, close. by far though when this episode really starts giving you heart problems is towards the end as Virgil and Brains get to rescuing Alan and grandma Tracy, there's some marvelous subtly with Jeff and Tintin which lends hugely to the scene, and the absence of music and increasing loudness of the neutralising beam builds the tension in a way I honestly don't think this show has since Trapped in the Sky. And I love it when character motivations are left ambiguous, this happens with Scott in this episode, or at least I would argue it does, maybe me overthinking. all in all I really liked this episode, dare I even say loved it, it tells a fun story in a very interesting way, puts it's characters in a very precarious predicament, and is the most intense this series has been for a while, that last point alone, for me, makes this episode an absolute must watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment