Monday 8 February 2016

fire, in a can

I have watched videos from a youtuber called Grant Thompson for a while now, and his videos have given me loads of really cool ideas, like making a metal foundry and crafting movie and video game props out of aluminium, but I still live with my parents, so there's still only so dangerous I can go before they inevitably step in. but he did do a video where he used an old drink can, some cardboard and candle wax to make a really cool looking little burner, and since it doesn't involve pulling apart a microwave or cutting a fire extinguisher in half, I thought I could give this one a try, so I did. It didn't go as smoothly as I thought it would, I got a lot of shards of metal all over the place when cutting the can, and I oven cooked the candle wax to melt it, which went well, I didn't melt enough the first time, so I melted a few batches, which came back to bite me when I lit it. other than that though I think it worked really well, when I first lit it, it was a very stable and very clean burn, and the flame got pretty high, once the air bubbles in the wax between the layers stopped exploding, which was actually quite cool to watch. I lit it several times and it burned pretty well every time, but I did notice that the longer it burned, the dirtier the burn got, it started giving off black smoke and leaving a black rim along the outside of the can, before the wax finally burned off and the cardboard stopped burning, which took a long time, not sure exactly how long but definitely more than an hour. And the can survived, I don't know if it would survive a second try, because I'll make another, and this time I plan to scrape together some old crayons as fuel instead of candles, just to see if it would work. in the meantime, this design from Grant Thompson's video worked really well, and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment