Tuesday 16 February 2016

McFarlane toys Halo 5 Spartan Locke figure

Continuing my string of catch up toy reviews is another from my Hanley haul, a Locke figure from Halo 5, brought to us by McFarlane toys, like the Vulture, I've had this guy for a while, so let's give him a review.

first up we'll discuss the 2 best things about this figure, the sculpt and the paint. The sculpt on this guy is stunning, McFarlane at its best, and to stress just how good it is, you can't see very well in the photo that his jumpsuit is covered in a honeycomb pattern, more obvious is the very commendable attention to detail throughout the jumpsuit and armour pieces, by far the most impressive piece is the helmet, which captures the look of the Helmet from the game flawlessly in my opinion. the chest plate and thruster packs are also crammed with great detail, as is the jumpsuit underneath. He comes with a Battle Rifle and a pistol, both of which are also sculpted with the quality of the figure. the Battle Rifle is also brought to life with some nice touches of paint, and the same can be said for the rest of the figure. While I think the armour and jumpsuit could both be a darker shade, I like the colour overall, and both parts are again crammed with impressive detail in the painting, silver and various shades of blue cover the figure, and it all looks extremely nice. So over all in paint and sculpt I have no issues, I think the colours could be a little darker, perhaps, but that isn't really a complaint, and I love the way this figure looks, now however is when we start to get into issues. This figure has, in my opinion, 1 major flaw, a flaw that really brings it down for me, and that's articulation, the articulation is terrible. while, in typical McFarlane fashion, the figure sports a nice amount of possible joints, but articulation is very, very limited. Knees, elbows, shoulders, with such an extensive amount of joints, it's impressive just how little this figure can move, for example he can't bend his knee, he can't hold his rifle with 2 hands, those 2 things, in my opinion, are terrible flaws for this figure. All in all, in reality I'll put this guy in the most badass pose I can get him in, and then pop him on the display with my Chiefs and Arbiters, but it's a damn shame that, while he looks incredible, he is so stunted by shamefully limited articulation, I'd still recommend him if you like these McFarlane figures or you want a Locke for your collection at a low cost, but prepare to be disappointed if you want more than a very pretty statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment