Thursday 4 January 2018

Moar Blu Rays: December 2017

New year, new idea, and no, it isn't converting to Buddhism or throwing myself off a cliff, though both of those options have been on the table in just the past few days, 2018's off to a great start. The new idea comes from me running out of Blu Ray storage space, since I have so many of them, literally hundreds, and since there's always a steady supply of new ones coming in, I thought maybe keeping up to date on them would be a good idea. Christmas saw a heavy influx of new Blu Rays this year, so if I bother to do one of these every month, which is the plan right now, this one will be a lot bigger than usual. Since the start of December, I've acquired 21 new Blu Rays, and we'll start with the obvious; half of them are Marvel movies, that's simply because Infinity War is coming, and I want to catch up with the last decade of Marvel releases before it comes out, only Hulk to go now and I'll have the complete set, I just have to then watch them. We also have 4 Tim Burton films, only one of which I give a shit about, and that's The Nightmare Before Christmas, but it was bundled with Ed Wood, Alice in Wonderland and Frankenweenie, 3 films I haven't seen, and am not in a rush to see, maybe Frankenweenie, maybe. Surprisingly, while I'm unashamedly a fan of the new Disney Star Wars films (crucify me, go ahead) I only own Rogue One and The Force Awakens on Blu Ray, so I decided to rectify that and buy the complete set. Upside, I now have the complete Star Wars collection on Blu Ray, downside, I now have the Star Wars Prequels on Blu Ray, but that's all very by the by. Possibly one of the strangest films to now be a part of my collection is The Transformers: The Movie, the original animated film from 1986, I was actually quite the little Transformers fan in my younger years, and while it was a really dumb, stupid movie, I saw it at HMV for £10 and bought it without hesitation. Dunkirk, given that it was in my top 5 favourite films of 2017, I really don't think that one needs an explanation. Then there's Atomic Blonde and American Made, two films that I'm lumping together because they were in the category of films I saw in cinemas that I never reviewed, not because they're comparable, because they're not, but they are both alright films. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, a surprise addition, coming from someone who assumed that it would make an alright Christmas present, but I didn't think it looked that bad from the trailers, so I'll probably end up putting that one at the top of the pile, figuratively speaking. And then there's the odd one out; Shin Godzilla. I did enjoy it when I first watched it and wrote my review, but me and some friends watched it just a few weeks ago, and they were bored out of their minds, and I couldn't blame them, because I was bored too. So why's it in my Blu Ray collection instead of my foreign language DVD's, simple; it's Godzilla, All Monsters Attack is a fucking terrible movie, but if I ever had the chance to get it on Blu Ray, I'd jump on it, because it's Godzilla. And with that concludes my December 2017 Blu Ray hoard, January 2018 will be smaller, but I'm cool with that, because movies are pretty much the only things left in my life that I get any enjoyment out of, so I might as well keep feeding that addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment