Wednesday 20 June 2018

Moar Blu Rays: March & April 2018

Another two months gone, and another month or so, because I've been video gaming and dwelling on my wants and desires rather than doing anything about them, and the flow of new Blu Rays onto my new, bigger, sexier shelf has continued to gradually dry up, but so long as there are still films being made, there'll still be films going on that shelf. So what's new this week, or rather, these months; well for starters, as I'm sure you more observant have noticed, not all of the items in the lineup are Blu Rays, in there we also have a pair of Xbox One games, one of which is a game I not so secretly adore, having written a very long, very fanboyish review of it on this blog, that being Far Cry 5, I game I've now completed twice, three times if you count the secret ending, and that I've become thoroughly infatuated with. And the other is a game that I've played a bit, had a lot of fun with, and then moved on to bigger things, things with content, that's of course Sea of Thieves, a really fun, really pretty game with nothing to do in it. Granted, I did have a lot of fun with the game in its first few weeks, playing online with a friend from work, hoarding gold and sending our enemies to the briny, but that's since dropped off, which breaks my heart because I don't have many friends, and- oh yeah, this isn't a Tumblr blog, wink wink, gotta get back on topic. And now for the Blu Rays, let's go left to right; Justice League, a film that a lot of people think is complete garbage, a trait that, in this set of films, is sadly not unique. The flaws with Justice League are extensive for sure, but are consistent through the entire series, which is a rushed, tonally inconsistent series with more misses than hits, and with a long, long history of turbulence behind the scenes, and as the culmination of said series, Justice League's better than it really should have been, and certainly better than a lot of people give it credit for. Bronson, a film my University educated sister with a tendency to romanticise Feminism really wanted to watch, because it's about a lunatic and she's studying psychology, and what a twist, that she ended up hating it, and that I was the one entranced, and the reasons for our polar opposite responses are probably really juicy, so I might one day ask her about it, after we're done butting heads over whether or not the Draft is sexism or privilege, another story for another time. Paddington 2, a film that I have never attempted to hide my love of, because Paddington and its sequel just melt me every time I watch either of them, in fact it was my second favourite film of last year behind IT, and sat on my night stand beside a framed photo of my dead dog and the NECA 24 inch Godzilla is a Paddington bear. Perhaps my relationship with Paddington is so strong because of its emotional origins; being that I watched it with my ex-girlfriend at the cinema, or perhaps I'm just a sap like that, there's no way to truly know. Dante's Peak, this one has a story, but it's a long story, and one that would be better suited to telling if I ever review the film, but it's in my Blu Ray collection now for reasons almost as old as myself, and it's a film that plays a role in the creation of the man I am today. In comparison to Sicario, a film I haven't seen, and is in my collection because it's one of those films that is on my list, a list of films that I know I will one day watch, so I might as well buy it now.

The same can be said of Patriots Day, which, like another film in my collection; Deepwater Horizon, is on the list, and is also directed by Peter Berg and stars Mark Wahlberg, who previously collaborated on Lone Survivor, and have an upcoming collaboration in Mile 22, that's four films in five years. I was always particularly interested in Patriots Day however because of its subject matter, the Boston Marathon Bombing, an event I remember seeing on the news as it was happening, as morbid as that sounds. Murder on the Orient Express, what needs to be said, it's that train murder film from last year, it's kind of disappointing that barely anyone I know saw this film, because as Avengers has thought me, it sucks to not have anyone to talk movies with. And Jumanji, I doubt that this will come as a surprise, but I never reviewed Jumanji, even though I saw it twice in the cinemas, but the best word to describe it would be surprising, as my expectations from Sony Pictures are never high, so seeing a film from Sony that's alright is a bit of a shock to the system, see: Peter Rabbit movie review. And then the big one, The Last Jedi, a film that is certainly deserving of a more in-depth review, since I am in the minority of people who thought it was okay, and it ripped the Star Wars fanbase apart and catalysed a consumer revolt against Lucasfilm, one that, might I add, is very justified, though not specifically for The Last Jedi, but again, another story for another time. John Wick 2, still haven't watched the first John Wick all the way through, because I couldn't, the film died while I was watching it, as in either the Blu Ray disc stopped working or my Xbox One decided it was opposite day again, but now I have both, so I should really give it another go, since apparently they're some of the best action films in recent memory. Split, it was the first film I reviewed in 2017, and a film that, after really enjoying it in the cinema, completely escaped my mind for over a year, but now it's on my Blu Ray shelf, where it really belongs. And finally, Duel, a film I saw once, years ago, when my dad showed my Spielberg's first film, my memory of it is very fuzzy, and so, on the list it goes, and on my shelf it goes. And that's all my Blu Rays for the months of March and April, tune in next week when I cover May and June, assuming I don't fridge my blog for a few weeks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment