Friday 2 March 2018

Moar Blu Rays: January & February 2018

I didn't do a Blu Ray update last month, I know, hell of a start for a series of monthly updates, but unlike usual, the reason wasn't laziness, but instead simply that I bought all of two Blu Rays in the month of January, and didn't feel that an update was really worth doing for such a small number. This month however, much to the agony of my bank account, I mended that error with a series of decent Blu Ray hauls, and before you is the spoils of those hauls, plus January's loot to pad out the number a bit. From the month of January comes IT, a film that I, obviously, have a massive amount of love for, and a film that I got in trouble for when I showed it to my 5 year old nephew, who, unsurprisingly, is now absolutely terrified of Pennywise, but what's the point in being an uncle if you can't be a bad influence. We also have Kingsman: The Golden Circle, the perfectly serviceable sequel to the film that made me fall in love again after my breakup. What's sad is that's all true, I was in a bad place, I saw The Secret Service, and now movies are my life, though serviceable might be a misleading word, because The Golden Circle's actually a lot of fun. Now for February, from where the real meat comes; the three 5 for £30's are The Goonies, Cloverfield and Get Out, it's three instead of five simply because I was pressed for time. Cloverfield's now a franchise, so I guess I should watch the first one at some point, and The Goonies is a film that I, probably like many people, watched countless times in my younger years, and Get Out's good, apparently, but I had a Black Panther screening to make, so Get Out was just so I could still get the 3 for £20 deal on 5 for £30's and still be in time, yep, literally the reason. Going less impulsive and more substantive, on the same day I also snagged the Indiana Jones collection, both because Temple of Doom was a film that scared me as a kid, and because I know there's an Indiana Jones binge at some point in my future. Lego Ninjago, because I never reviewed it when it was out in cinemas, and to round out my Lego Movies, and on the topic of rounding out; The Mummy Returns, I now have the Boris Karloff Mummy, the Tom Cruise Mummy (yes, I actually do, I also have Paul Feig's Ghostbusters) and now, the complete trilogy of Brendan Fraser Mummy's. Surprisingly, I've been chasing The Mummy Returns since August, when I picked up Tomb of the Dragon Emperor in Tenby, and in case you haven't already noticed, there's some real garbage in my Blu Ray collection.

As evidenced by our next turd- just kidding, Blade Runner 2049 is absurdly good; it's a film I think more highly of the older it gets, so god help me in ten years when I love it more than my wife and kid that I'll never have. If I ever did have a kid though, they'd inevitably be raised on films like Jumanji, a Blu Ray I already had, but bought again when I saw that sexy steelbook, seriously, look at it, it's fucking sexy, I can hear the drums just from looking at it. They will not, however, be raised on Hellraiser, a Blu Ray three pack I now have thanks to the YouTube channel Midnight's Edge and their Hellraiser series with Gary Tunnicliffe, I've recommended them before, back when the Ghostbusters controversy was in full swing, but if you don't know who they are, they're worth checking out, so do that. Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie, I quite enjoyed the original anime, and I'm even one of those imperialistic racism apologist freaks who liked the live action adaptation, so when I saw my chance to grab The New Movie, a film I know literally nothing about other than that it exists and that it has a comically literal title, I took it. Thankfully liking Halo doesn't make me an evil racist, I think, so I also snagged the video collection, which will hopefully be more functional than the MCC. Truth be told, I already had Nightfall, Forward Unto Dawn and Fall of Reach on Blu Ray, because Halo is the tits, but it was dirt cheap, and I didn't have Halo: Legends on Blu Ray, so that justifies making three more duplicates, right? And that just leaves Thor: Ragnarok, I'm still on my mission to own the entire MCU movie collection on Blu Ray, so Thor: Ragnarok was an inevitability, that and I had a lot of fun watching it in cinemas, now I only have two goals; get The Incredible Hulk, and get binging before Infinity War, oh goodie. And so concludes the roundup of my latest snags, because like I said last time, I'm an addict, and movies are my drug, which I suppose is a good thing, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment