Saturday 14 October 2017

Blade Runner 2049 movie review

Here's what you need to know; in the dystopian far future of 2049, a new kind of human is on the rise, as Replicants both old and new try to make a living under the radar of the LAPD and their Blade Runners. One such Blade Runner, K, is on the hunt for a band of rebel Replicants out to free their oppressed kind, when he unwittingly stumbles upon a far darker mystery, one with the power to either save the world or destroy it, and one that is forcing him to question himself, and work out where he fits in this strange and dangerous world.
Didn't really know how I was going to explain the plot of this film in as spoiler free a way as I could, or even if I would try, or even if I would just say that *******************************. To be honest, I saw this film a week ago, and didn't know if I even wanted to review it, or just wait for the home video release and then go Redux on it, something I will absolutely be doing, because it's just that kind of film. Instead though, here we are, because I really want to talk about this film, and I want to tell you to go and watch it, so without wasting any more time, let's get into Blade Runner 2049, the numbest arse I've had this year.

Blade Runner 2049 is going to be a divisive movie, right away I want to say that; people thinking this is a Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling sci fi action movie will be bored out of their fucking minds, in fact I know one or two of them, who describe this film as boring, nonsensical and really, really, really slow. Don't be confused though, this isn't IT and my brother again, because weirdly, despite really liking this movie, I can completely understand their criticisms. In fact it's pretty much the only criticism of this film that I have, so I'll get it out of the way first, this film is slow. Slow might not actually be the right word, I think deliberate would be a more apt description, this film doesn't dumb itself down at all, it doesn't hold the audience's hand, this is a very contemplative experience, and as a result the film takes its time. This, in my opinion, can and does become a bit of detriment for the film, it's 160 minutes long, definitely the longest film I've seen this year, and there are times when that 160 minute runtime is excruciating, it's not inherently a negative, slow burns can still be enjoyable, and trust me, there is a lot to enjoy with this film, but I can't help but think that this film could be better paced. Before you torch me, hear me out, earlier this year I watched, and enjoyed, Ghost in the Shell, funny that those two would come out in the same year, even funnier that they've both been criticised on racial grounds, but I digress. Ghost in the Shell also told a contemplative story, though not as 'deep' as Blade Runner, and did it in a much shorter runtime, with a much sharper pace, Blade Runner 2049 certainly has a lot to offer, but good pacing isn't one of those things in my opinion, this film could have been less of a grind. While we're on the subject of things that weren't great, Jared Leto's in this film, and he was not a great antagonist. Maybe I've missed something, which is entirely possible, but right now, I see that Jared Leto's Wallace is only in a hand full of scenes, never leaves his corporate fortress, and always just seems to ramble about God and Angels. Again, maybe there's more to that God and Angels stuff, and he does have a great line about the value of slavery, but the constant philosophical waffling doesn't help the fact that he wasn't a particularly scary villain, which I definitely think they were going for, and just makes him boring to watch. His Replicant henchman Luv was far more interesting; both more emotive as a character, far, far more involved in the plot, doing literally all of Wallace's dirty work, and actually making sense when she talked, she was definitely a more effective antagonist. And that's all the bad, a long winded way of explaining the film's two flaws, seems rather fitting. Now for the good; despite being all over the marketing, Harrison Ford's Deckard is an interesting addition to the film, and he becomes extremely important to the plot, while being a reclusive old drunk, but he isn't in the movie much, and I'm cool with that, since for the entirety of the film, the focus isn't on him, but on Ryan Gosling's K, who is gripping. His story is very important to the film's larger mystery, and it makes for the film's biggest emotional highs and lows, yes, the film actually has them, as K goes further and further down this rabbit hole. K keeps the film moving as best he can, is very proficient in the fights, which the film has way less of than you'd think, and provides a gripping insight into the shitty future this film flaunts. The most interesting out of this insight is his love interest, Joi, and what makes her character so fascinating is something I didn't know going in, and neither will you, at least not from me, all I'll say is she is without a doubt the most visually striking character I've seen this year, maybe even that I've ever seen, one scene in particular is absolutely mind blowing, and I adore it.

There's a lot more to Blade Runner 2049 that I adore; though how I will talk about a lot of it remains unclear, but I'm going to try. Again, this film is not a sci fi action movie; it is instead a mystery, and a very intriguing one at that. The opening scene which introduces K as a Blade Runner is absolutely perfect, it brilliantly raises the question of whether or not Blade Runners are doing the right thing, and provides the more casual in the audience with some punchy stabby, it also show cases this film's beauty. From there this mystery only deepens, and seeing him solving it is really intriguing, especially when this mystery starts to get personal for K, which is also about the time K becomes more engaging as a character. And then the film, like any good mystery, throws twists and turns that are really well done, and that don't cheat, seeing the film a second time, I knew the big twist, and was surprised to see how much sense it actually made. Wallace not being a great villain, he doesn't add much to the mystery but his motivations are, as you'd probably expect, very corporate and morally ambiguous, and Luv, generally being a more menacing character, does a better job of keeping on K's heels. Throughout the film there is friction between K and Luv, and in the film's finale that friction pays off very effectively, and while it may not be the most intense or climactic finale of any sci fi film, it's still a great pay off in its own way. It's possible that some audiences might find the film's ending abrupt and inconclusive, the abrupt part I disagree with, I think it's perfect, inconclusive however, I think that might have been the idea. But now is time for the gushing, Blade Runner 2049 has its strengths and weaknesses, it's slow and has a weak villain, but it has a cool mystery and interesting heroes, but this film's biggest strength, by a mile, in fact pushing into top films of the year territory, is the presentation. Blade Runner 2049 looks and sounds fucking amazing, this is one of the most fascinating future settings I've ever seen, a gorgeously realised dystopian world; people drive cars that can fly, and giant holographic advertisements dominate the skyline, the weather is always shitty, and the streets are crime ridden slums, it's all wonderfully grungy. The cinematography and CG is the best I've seen this year, bar none, the city skyline is bleak and monolithic, the buildings below exploding with neon from all the adverts, the colours are mesmerising, Think Pacific Rim's Hong Kong fight but more intense, and not just in the city, but in all the places K visits on his journey, there is literally never a dull shot, it's fucking beautiful. The film also sounds incredible, the music is really loud, probably to keep bored casuals awake, but the soundtrack itself is beautiful, it fits the film perfectly, and like with a few films this year, it's a soundtrack I want to buy. On a deeper level this film also delivers a fascinating look at its dystopian society, but never in a way that's heavy handed or blunt; exploring the quandary of the Replicants being human or not, the film alludes to a societal bigotry towards them in a way that, again, doesn't beat you over the head. Over-population is demonstrated with frightening efficiency here, both in the sweeping aerial shots of the city, and in its dim and grungy streets, with K himself living in a massive tower block of people who all look about ready to kill and eat each other. And similarly to the societal bigotry towards Replicants, the film alludes to what is in my opinion a far more real and frightening implication, that being our increasing reliance and relationship with technology, and a lack of real human interaction and compassion, though to explain how would be to spoil, so I won't go there, yet.

I should probably wrap it up before I do go into spoilers, so here it is. Blade Runner 2049 is not for everybody, that much is undeniable, it's a film that really will split film freaks like me from casual movie goers, because looking at it as a popcorn film, it's boring as shit; it's long and slow and super duper contemplative. But looking at it as a popcorn movie is doing it a disservice, because what this film is, first and foremost, is a piece of art. Its mystery is intriguing, K is engaging and him and Joi are really sweet together, Wallace was weak, but Luv helped to fill that gap, and the film's deeper explorations of themes is absolutely riveting. And even if you don't care about any of that, somehow, this film is a visual masterpiece; everything about the presentation here is at the top of its game, the cinematography, visual effects, sound and music, colour and lighting, it's the best you're going to see in 2017, beyond doubt. I really like Blade Runner 2049, and despite enduring its painful pace twice already,  I'd be more than happy to endure it again. Blade Runner 2049 is a film I would very highly recommend, and it's definitely worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment