Friday 22 July 2016

Godzilla Resurgence trailer 2 thoughts

I don't even know if I'll have the pleasure of reviewing this film, given the shaky situation of its international release, but with a week to go until its Japanese release, I was surprised to learn that Toho has released another trailer, and I have some thoughts on it, so let's go.

What really stood out to me immediately was the music, while I like the music in the first trailer, I really like the music in this trailer, it's effectively orchestral and carries with it a lot of gravity, hopefully reflective of the awe and terror this film will instil, but that's just me hoping. But this trailer has largely has the same problems the first one had, and this time I am going to call some of them problems. Godzilla still moves robotically in the CG suit hybrid shots, and is very animated in the entirely CG shot at the end of the trailer, which even more unfortunately is the same one from the first trailer, just a bit longer. That said, the effects in this trailer do look better than the effects in the first trailer, and it has the same beautifully haunting cinematography, including a few very familiar looking shots, like one taken from street level where the full view is obscured by power lines, very 54 esque. Speaking of 54, since the last trailer, it's come to light that this film is a hard reboot of the series, one that ignores all previous films, including 54, that's very brave on Toho's part, and to be honest I don't really know why they've done it. 54 was 62 years ago, a soft reboot that recognises 54 is something they did in the 80's, but even Legendary went this route, and in an era of reboots, it really baffles me as to why they've put themselves in a corner. Inevitably this film will be compared to both the 54 film and the 2014 film, and this film isn't just a sequel, it's a de facto replacement of the 54 original, like a certain other reboot that came out recently, that immediately puts it on shaky ground. The action in this trailer is largely the same, the tanks and attack helicopters are the same as what we saw in the first trailer, but with a bit more new footage to drool over. And back to the haunting cinematography, there's more night shots of the G in this trailer, and they all look incredibly, most notably a ground level shot of the lights going out and a distant shot of Godzilla standing in a blacked out city, its good shit. And the second shot in the trailer is also very good, Godzilla from behind, obscured by buildings and people fleeing, I'm interested in seeing what this film looks like, purely from an effects and cinematography standpoint, because it look really interesting. What doesn't look interesting in this trailer is the characters, just like the last trailer, the trailer consists largely of dialogue and interaction with the characters, but it's all muted, I didn't call it a problem last time because the film was still a few months away, but now the film is much closer, so to still have the same hollow, muted character scenes in the trailer makes the whole thing more of a problem, as someone who likes character driven movies, I want to know who these people are, and this trailer, just like the last one, doesn't give me that, these characters exhibit no motivation in either of these trailers, and it's annoying. This trailer is ultimately the same trailer as the one released a few months ago, just with a bit more Godzilla, but there isn't really anything new, it's even the same length as the last one. But this trailer has something the first one didn't, a tease, and one that really tickles my fancy, one that excites me, don't know how much more sexual I can make this, But this trailer teases the iconic atomic breath. The last shot of the trailer is Godzilla dislocating his jaw and his spines and mouth starting to glow; it wouldn't be that surprising if the colour wasn't purple, but the colour is purple. It looks like Godzilla's fire is going to be purple, which is very surprising. The only time I can think of where his fire wasn't bright blue was Godzilla vs Destroyah, and in that film the change was explained away in the plot of the film, since that one was a sequel. But this one isn't, as I've already digressed about, so it looks like a purely cosmetic change coming from the same mindset as the stupid arms and stupid tail, but unlike those 2 things, I think I might like the new colour.

Aside from the fire tease at the end, this is very much the same trailer that was released a few months ago, just with different music and some new footage, and while this is a better trailer, it still has the same down sides; Godzilla's inconsistent appearance, the inconsistent special effects, and the muted dialogue that lacks motivation, but the new music and mouth wateringly good cinematography really make up for it. This is a film I keep flip flopping on, but right now, as I write this, having thought about what I like and don't like, this film is one I do want to see, and definitively will if I get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment