Thursday 19 May 2016

Ghostbusters trailer 2 thoughts

And once again the gates groan as the beast thumps and pounds, eager for the taste of the flesh within. That's right, Ghostbusters has a new trailer. It shouldn't come as a surprise that I really didn't like the first trailer, while I did like about 2 things in it, it was a shit trailer that really didn't give me hope for the movie, and now, what with Paul Feig losing his shit in interviews and the feminist horde fighting tooth and claw to defend this poor movie from all the evil neckbeard MRA #gamergate bigots, this movie just keeps looking more and more like a train wreck. But now we have a 2nd official trailer, ignoring the international trailer because that turned out to be even more of a failure than the first one, and how's this trailer, it's better, if that means anything.

This trailer starts in a way I actually liked, at first anyway, with creepy music and a voice over describing some evil force, complete with a surprisingly creepy looking red-eyed ghost and a few more shots of the haunted mansion ghosts from the first trailer, everything looks good until we see the mouth behind the voice over and he talks again. The unnerved response from the Ghostbusters does make me want to laugh, more out of an understanding of the joke than the joke actually being funny, but it's just what he says, "except you girls, I think you can handle it," given the already mentioned Feig meltdowns and the agenda he's clearly tried to bolt onto this film, that line really comes across as fishy. The Ghostbusting tech gets some more time in this trailer, and while I'm becoming less of a fan of it the more I think about it, it's serviceable. The ghosts however, not so much, like in the first trailer, they look fake, artificial, cartoony, and while they still have the vibrant colours of the first movie, I don't like the hyper CG look of them here. The new Ecto-1 was one of the 2 things I liked in the first trailer, and while the ornament looks really cheesy, I still like the design, but not the siren, if it does sound like that, compared to the original Ecto-1, it sounds utterly uninspired. The cheesy voice over from McCarthy doesn't help make things better when we see the puking scene again, and it's just as snotty here as it was in the first one, and about as funny, which is to say, not remotely, in fact it may be worse when McCarthy chimes in and calls it beautiful, really, again, I kind of see the angle they're trying there, but it is not funny, it's shit. The classic Ghostbusters theme is good to hear again, but given the soft piano of the first trailer, even it feels cheap and weak, merely an attempt to ensnare nostalgic Ghostbusters fans. And yet again, the trailer throws a really un funny piece of comedy that we've already seen, the crowd surfing scene from the international trailer. I actually love this scene, but not because it's funny, because of a Paul Feig quote I sniffed out; "I don't care what shape or size they are, (regarding the casting for the film) I live and die on what things are funny and whether or not people will be entertained by them." Sorry Paul, but you lie, you lie; if what they are doesn't matter to you, then why does Leslie Jones ask if it's a race thing or a lady thing? She says that because that is in fact something that matters to you isn't it, Paul, again, if you really did pick the 4 funniest people you know, why did they all happen to be women, I mean, it's not like Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill, among others, were at one point supposed to be involved, I found a neat little video on YouTube on a channel called Midnight's Edge, it's a good video and it details this film's alleged woes way better than I could, I leave a link in addendums. And I'll get back to Midnight's Edge's videos later.

We see more of the films effects, and again, they look cheesy and fake, and we hear of a plot point we already knew about, the Ghost machine. Chris Hemsworth says a joke that isn't funny, no shock there, at least Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon didn't look impressed by it either. Next we see some actual Ghostbusting, which doesn't look utterly dreadful, to be honest, I am prepared to give this film that much benefit of the doubt, maybe, if only for their existence alone, the scenes with the Ghostbusters busting ghosts might be cool. Tell you what might actually also be funny, but that I'm not prepared to give the movie benefit of the doubt for, possessed Chris Hemsworth, given what I've heard about an alleged dance number with him and the army, I'm not holding my breath, but maybe the villain won't be utter crap, maybe. And the ghost machine actually looks cool, to be honest. Again though, the trailer drags itself down when McCarthy gets lively, and becomes a stupid, hyper exaggerated version of herself, and, not being an enormous McCarthy fan personally, I'm not impressed. And Now is when I need to refer back to Midnight's edge, from whom I learned of Paul Feig's Ghostbusters pitch, and a leaked story summery for the film, one that's eerily reflected in the trailers, from this I learned of an apparent dance number with the Army and the villain, one mentioned both in Feig's pitch and the leaked summery, and, in the pitch, a sub plot involving the government trying to cover up the existence of ghosts, which, I'll be blunt here, sounds fucking retarded, and this trailer seems to allude to that possible sub plot, which isn't good. And at this point I feel that Feig needs to learn something about comedy, because these 2 trailers have already done it enough, people getting crazy and loud doesn't translate to funny, it wasn't funny with the "Power of Patty," it isn't funny here with McCarthy, and it isn't funny with Wiig here either. And that scene just looks lame, what was the idea of that, you want to talk about professionalism, Feig, that isn't professional, it's stupid, and it gets compounded by McCarthy, it not funny. But then, get ready, because for the first time, ever in this film's marketing, something actually made me legitimately laugh, Leslie Jones, with the ghost perched on her shoulders, "nope, going to take off, don't piss off the ghost," then some kids come up to her and start taking selfies with the ghost, that is actually pretty funny, and not in ironic or pathetic way, it made me laugh.

The trailer ends with my worst nightmare, swinging it back round to Midnight's Edge again, in the leaked story summery, leaked by a Riddit user who claims to have seen the finished film, the user claims that at the end of the film, the Ghostbusters fight a giant version of the ghost from the Ghostbusters logo. This really bothers me, because it's just sad, I guess they guess Stay Puft was too iconic to pass up, but this is a reboot, so it can't be Stay Puft again, instead we'll just blatantly rip off Stay Puft while being as lazy with our own giant monster as we can get away with. It sounded ridiculous, the toys that seem to prove this thing's existence looked ridiculous, and now I've seen it in a trailer, it looks utterly garbage, I can't get over it, it's so fucking stupid, I hate it. And that is the newest trailer for this abomination of a movie, and my god, this trailer just breaks my heart. The jokes from the first trailers are still not funny, the effects still don't look good, and while the Ghostbusting in this trailer and the Leslie Jones dragon perch give me hope, the characters are more obnoxious here than they ever were in the first 2 trailers, the Reddit leak rings more and more true the more we see, and the giant ghost is unforgivable, utterly shit. If all hope I had in this movie hadn't already been stamped out, this trailer certainly does the trick. If I believed in a god, I'd pray that I am wrong, but I don't, and this film really doesn't look good.

And here's the link to Midnight's Edge, where they've compiled a few videos documenting this film's alleged production troubles.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvrd6VtgWF7CwaZH1S0N-Qg

No comments:

Post a Comment