Tuesday 12 April 2016

LEGO Star Wars Carbon Freezing Chamber set

This is yet another smaller set with a retail price of about £20 and a build time of about 20 minutes, but unlike the Wipeout looking Interceptor, this set is A from a film I have seen, and B from a specific scene from that film, the very famous scene in which Han Solo is frozen in Carbonite. And for some stupid reason I turned this down when I snagged the escape pod and the Takodana sets, it only took me about a week to rectify my mistake, that said, let's go.

So first up, this set comes with 3 mini figures, and I'll start with the 2 I find the most unimpressive. The Han Solo figure isn't really what I had in mind when I wanted a classic Lego Han Solo, while he is based on his appearance in The Empire Strikes Back, his 2 faces are neutral and frozen, and his torso is a simple vest, the decent print aside, the figure serves more as an accessory to a gimmick than it does an actual figure, I'll get to the gimmick later but for now, the figure does have storage, in the form of a concealed platform underneath the far left segment of the set, with can hinge outward to expose said storage. the second figure is an alien I recognise from the film, but otherwise know nothing about, he is cooler than the Solo figure though, with a more interesting torso print, and a very cool head sculpt with good detail and printing, he also comes with the shorter, non poseable legs. That just leaves the real reason I got the set, Boba Fett, while I never really understood the insane love people have for the character, I liked the look of the character, and if I am to start acquiring a large accumulation of Lego Star Wars, Boba Fett isn't exactly something I can over look, next up is Yoda.  But this figure is really cool, it has an excellent amount of detail in the torso print, as well as a great print on the legs, the helmet looks awesome and has equally good prints to the torso and legs, and his cape looking thing is also cool, the figure just has a great look to it. And now to the set itself, which I think is helped a great deal by the orange accents in terms of its look, they give it a real glow, but other wise, aside from 1 really cool feature, the structure isn't all that impressive. as already mentioned, on the far left there is a compartment for storing a mini figure, on the right segment there is also a lift, which can be positioned up an down and is held in place with a technic ball. but the most interesting feature by far is the Carbonite block, with as you can see, has a mold of the Han Solo figure frozen in it, what you can't see is that on the back, it is open, and has enough space for a figure and handles to hold one in place. Ideally you put the Han figure in there, then pull and rotate the technic ball on the front of the set, lowering the block into the 'chamber' itself, then rotating it, flipping the figure compartment for the frozen Han. Me explaining it isn't as cool as the mechanism itself, which is really simple, yet really cool, and it's a clever piece of engineering.

This little set would be pretty unremarkable were it not for 2 really awesome components, while 2 3rds of the minifigures aren't that interesting, the 3rd 3rd is superb, and may just justify the set on his own if you're looking for a Boba Fett like I was. Just like the mini figures, the largely unimpressive structure, while still having some cool colours on it, is completely saved by a very cool piece of playability and clever engineering, this is a pretty cool set overall, and I'd recommend it for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment